Steve Harley

& Cockney Rebel

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Psychomodo/Human Menagerie

Re:Psychomodo/Human Menagerie 12 years 3 months ago #4119

• AlizarinStag
  • Mr. Jinx
I couldn't just stay a week! I was so sad to leave last time. I loved visiting your country so much. So many great people. :)

Candidate=Woodchopper=Happy Ana.
Poetic Justice=Strange Communications=Puddle of Melted Ana. Need I go on?

So many more amazing songs that now I know from experience would be even more amazing live.
We've all been through bad times, but you gotta pass on the good stuff to others, not the bad. "If nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do." -Angel
Please login/register to post on the forum.

Re:Psychomodo/Human Menagerie 12 years 3 months ago #4120

• Mr Raffles
There are so many Harley classics that need to be performed live.If i've been a bit critical in the past of Steve's choice of set-list it's only because there's so much material to choose from that it almost seems criminal not to radically change the songs each tour.Playing complete albums live is a great way to do justice to his song writing ability and give us fans a chance to hear songs that in 30 years of following the guy we've never heard. Ana,it's nice that someone so young is into the music of Cockney Rebel.I hope that both you and Cheri can keep on 'crossing the pond' as long as Steve can keep on touring.The good news is that knowing Mr.Harley,that could be a long time yet!

Re:Psychomodo/Human Menagerie 12 years 3 months ago #4127

• cheri
Mr Raffles wrote:
There are so many Harley classics that need to be performed live.If i've been a bit critical in the past of Steve's choice of set-list it's only because there's so much material to choose from that it almost seems criminal not to radically change the songs each tour.Playing complete albums live is a great way to do justice to his song writing ability and give us fans a chance to hear songs that in 30 years of following the guy we've never heard. Ana,it's nice that someone so young is into the music of Cockney Rebel.I hope that both you and Cheri can keep on 'crossing the pond' as long as Steve can keep on touring.The good news is that knowing Mr.Harley,that could be a long time yet!
Nothing would make me happier than to be able to cross the pond every time Steve does a tour. There's absolutely nothing better than hearing and seeing him live! :) But, it's an expensive venture. Sooooooo, we have to figure out a way to bring him here to Northern California! :D (Ana can come stay with me.) I have a friend who used to produce rock concerts out here. I've talked to her about trying to bring Steve to one of our venues. It may be a long shot, but it's worth a try! :D Until then, I'm happy to travel to England as long as I'm able to.

Cheri

Re:Psychomodo/Human Menagerie 12 years 3 months ago #4129

• rebelfreak1
  • jimbo
Sorry Graham (Mr Edmondson),never answered your question re first show I saw.That would be around mid to late 1973 just before,(maybe even the same week), as the release of The Human Menagerie. Leicester Uni,and then(next night?) at Sheffield Uni,where I got my first Harley autograph,on a (turned inside out) packet of ten Park Drive cigs,not mine,never smoked,but my mate had them.It was the only thing we had between five of us that we could write on,so his four remaining cigs were resigned to the top pocket of his velvet jacket! Memories,memories. That little cadboard pack was then proudly kept for years,but as per usual got lost during a house move.Damn it could be worth at least a fiver now!!
I do remember the gigs only cost around 60 or 70 pence to get in though!! :laugh:
'i fought a tiger just for the glory,the bloody battle was fierce and was gory,was like a scene from a kipling story,she sucked my blood like shes eating tandoori....'

Re:Psychomodo/Human Menagerie 12 years 3 months ago #4138

• prima donna
remember revising for my exams listing to both albums and the odd can of beer!! and i passed with flying colours!

Re:Psychomodo/Human Menagerie 12 years 3 months ago #4139

• graham E
Not that it's a competition, but Jimbo- that will take some beating. I know we have chatted about it before, but well done Mate!
Yeah, Prima Donna, it does bring back "O" Level memories for me does Psychomodo- and the phrase "Losing my brain cells at a million a day" used to scare me to death sometimes...:-).

Those songs (and THM) have been locked in for a LONG time now- almost all of our collective lives so it will be so emotional to heaa them all, sequenced as they should be, in Birmingham.

That's the other thing about today's generation- the ability to download just a track- and the ability to flip from song to song. It destroys the cohesion of the album. When we played and played these albumns, do you recall how the next track immediately started in your head once the preceding one finished. I can't hear teh end of one song without hearing the start of the next on the album. We knew every beat, every note- and we stuck with playing maybe a side, if not the album as a whole. It was too much trouble to flip from song to song on the disc or the cassette wasn't it? Thats how albums are put together but now- with MP3s- people don't bother with every track, just the "best ones"- ie the more familiar ones. What a shame...what songs I would have missed myself had that been the way to consume music back then. I had to work at some tracks sometimes before I grew into them, songs like Sebastian and Ritz/Cavaliers werent favorites at first. They weren't so immediately accessible- but well worth the investment ultimately. Nowadays people might not even download then if they don't fancy them. The day of the album format is probably already gone I suspect- sad but true. But come November it will perfect.. heard the way they were always heard. Fantastic.