Steve Harley

& Cockney Rebel

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Song for a Funeral

Song for a Funeral 12 years 2 months ago #3874

• Rebel
Many many years ago I had a weird but very vivid dream.

In my dream I was told that I had a terminal illness and only had months to live. Instead of getting upset, I set to task on arranging my funeral.

In my dream, I remember pitching to a channel 4 production team, that I wanted to get Steve Harley to perform a full blown orchestral version of Death Trip, with choirs singing, symbols crashing, cannons firing and a firework spectacular (I wanted to go out with a bang!).
Of course they were to film my race against time to bring this all together, before I popped my clogs.
The finale was to be that the recording of the song would be played, rather poignantly, at my funeral, as my coffin was led down the aisle in Coventry cathedral (Even in my dreams, I don't do things by halves!).
Channel 4 were all for it and happy to produce the program, however, I unfortunately awoke before it actually happened.

Although relieved that I didn’t really only have months to live, I was somewhat disappointed that I didn’t get to hear my ‘ultimate’ version of Death Trip, even if it was just going to be in my dream.

So the chance to hear Death Trip in all its glory (maybe without the cannons or fireworks) at Birmingham Symphony Hall is literally a dream come true for me.
The fact that I don’t even have to get terminally ill to see it, is a real bonus!

In all reality, I have always longed to hear this song live, so thank you Steve, for listening to your fans and pulling this together.

My ticket is bought and I’m sure it will be everything I’ve dreamt of. The only downside is that the nine month wait is going to kill me (not literally I hope).

As for playing Death Trip at my funeral (whenever that may eventually be), my wife says that it would be over her dead body, but that’s another story!
;)
Please login/register to post on the forum.

Re:Song for a Funeral 12 years 2 months ago #3883

• jollyroger
Hilarious, Rebel. Great story!! Just wait for "And Louise, cowering into "nowehere""..." and you'll be in tears eh!! Maybe the conductor can be persuaded to utter the immortal command: "Quiet, please. From the top". Cue interval. And a chance to catch your breath!! Then Sweet Dreams...O dear, now you've got me dreaming!!!Day-dreaming.

Re:Song for a Funeral 12 years 2 months ago #3885

• Daz401
  • I've been thro 700 changes, and thats just a few
Jollyroger, will he do the full version of Chameleon? As didn't some1 suggest chopping the song for the album?.

Re:Song for a Funeral 12 years 2 months ago #3886

• prima donna
I have always said that i want "come up and see me make me smile" played! Hopefully that would lighten the mood!!!!

Re:Song for a Funeral 12 years 2 months ago #3893

• cheri
prima donna wrote:
I have always said that i want "come up and see me make me smile" played! Hopefully that would lighten the mood!!!!
I would think he would definitely finish with "Make Me Smile." I just don't think he would not end a concert without it. :)

Cheri

Re:Song for a Funeral 12 years 2 months ago #3895

• graham E
Personally I hope Steve doesn't resort to playing MMS(CUSM. I hope he has more taste about the evening. This is about celebrating the first two Rebel albums to the cognoscenti - not pleasing the "Oh, I know this one", johhny-come-lately, fans of the "big hit". There is nothing to gain from including an anachronistic number to please anyone. He has said before how he often has people shouting for it after one song.(He used to talk about a girl in Belfast I think as an example). Birmingham won't be like that I don't think!

I am hoping for a classy evening and he doesn't need to play it. As much as we may love it, in its place, we have all heard it at single show we have been to for the past 30 odd years. In fact- has Steve ever played a set without it since the BYOOL tour? Personally I don't recall him ever missing it out-but my memory isn't what it was.. anybody ever recall that beng the case? Ray?