Steve Harley

& Cockney Rebel

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Song for a Funeral

Re:Song for a Funeral 12 years 2 months ago #3896

• THE PHANTOM
  • CHELSEA SUPPORTING HARLEY FAN SINCE '73, TWO SONS.
Shall I wear my tuxedo ?
Please login/register to post on the forum.

Re:Song for a Funeral 12 years 2 months ago #3897

• Mr Raffles
I agree Graham.This is a special 'one off' show celebrating the first two albums. Make Me Smile is after all a bit of a 'sneer' song at the other members of the group who went their own seperate way.Just for once let's partly pay tribute to those guys who with Steve made the early Cockney Rebel so special. An evening without MMS will do no harm whatsoever.An encore of Black or White would perhaps also seem a bit out of place being from an even later period but in this case it's a song that's been left off the setlist for 37 years.With a full orchestra and choir at hand would fans prefer to hear another Make Me Smile or Black or White in all it's glory? Surely a no brainer!!

Re:Song for a Funeral 12 years 2 months ago #3900

• essexboybilly
Just heard Make Me Smile, opening the Ken Bruce show. What a record, still fresh and a real classic. Can't believe you guys suggesting it should NOT be played. I don't care either way to be honest , the show will be a winner in my book either way, but with a choir to do those backing vocals??? And there won't be any of the "I know this one" brigade there, this is a hot ticket and everyone must be buying knowing the first two albums are featured. I can't see one reason why MMA shouldn't end the evening and send 2000 folk into the night on an especial high HIGH!!

Re:Song for a Funeral 12 years 2 months ago #3901

• Paul Friett
Mixed feelings about inclusion of MMS...

When our Jacob accepted my offer of his ticket (plus 1) as a contribution to his celebrating reaching 21 (on 20th November), I reminded him that it was first two CR albums, so pre-MMS, but he unhesitatingly confirmed acceptance anyway.

Re:Song for a Funeral 12 years 2 months ago #3903

• Rebel
I've posted this response on a different thread, but please stop all this nonsense about no 'Make me Smile'. yes, it's all about the first two albums, but it's still a SH concert and therefore would'nt be complete without MMS.
Everyone should be rubbing their hands at the prospect of hearing it in such circumstnces, rather than debating its inclusion.

The concert is all about the first two albums, but come off it, No 'Come up and see me'?!

I know we have all heard it a million times, but how many of us have heard it with a full orchestra and choir, and it such a venue? The obvious answer is none of us!

As far as i'm concerned once the first two albums have been played, then as an encore, Steve should be able to play any songs he wants, and not necessarily fitting with the theme of the first two albums.
This is a once in a life time concert, which I for one would like to eek out as long as possible, therefore the more the merrier.

I would love to hear an orchestral version of Come up and see me, Mr Raffles, best years, Understand, red is a mean mean colour, Love compare to you.....etc etc In fact lets have the concert in 3 parts. Human Menagerie, Psychomodo and the best of the rest.

I know that time constraints means that this won't happen, but please stop this nonsense of dissing MMS! The more songs he plays the better

Re:Song for a Funeral 12 years 2 months ago #3904

• Paul Friett
Oh, on balance Rebel, I agree.
And I did say to Jacob "so no MMS unless he does it as an encore".
My point was just an expression of Proud Daddy Syndrome that my son was still keen to go (on the first Saturday night after he reaches 21) even with the possibility of MMS not being included.

Incidentally, when Neil Young performed Greendale in its entirety, he gave us a seven song encore including Heart of Gold. A noble precedent.