Steve Harley

& Cockney Rebel

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Cockney Rebel ('Mark I') and the Elgar-esque

Cockney Rebel ('Mark I') and the Elgar-esque 1 year 8 months ago #13151

• Jem 75
A few nights ago, (Sasha and) I listened/watched a programme (BBC) on Edward Elgar's (1857-1934) 'ten best' compositions (or the most popular). We enjoyed it massively. Elgar was the bridge between, classical and popular music (for me). His story was also very interesting.

I once read a journalist comparing 'Black or White' (Harley, 1975) with Queen's 'Bohemian Rhapsody' (Queen, 1975), in terms of depth. Though the journalist was a (Rebel) favourable reviewer, as I recall, I was slightly surprised that there was no mention of 'Death Trip' (Harley, 1973), in the same context. The orchestral arrangement of the latter reminds me of Elgar. 22 year old Steve, was hugely ambitious! What a piece (9mins 50 secs, within 'The Human Menagerie' 1973). This, like Elgar, wouldn't be out of place (my view) in the repertoire of 'The Last night of the Proms'! Brilliant.
Last Edit: 1 year 4 days ago by Jem 75. Reason: 24 April 2023 - rendered my own 'reply' redundant
Please login/register to post on the forum.

Cockney Rebel ('Mark I') and the Elgar-esque 1 year 8 months ago #13153

• Jem 75
X
Last Edit: 1 year 4 days ago by Jem 75. Reason: 24 April 2023 - my own 'reply' removed

Cockney Rebel ('Mark I') and the Elgar-esque 1 month 3 weeks ago #13269

• Jem 75
When I referred to 'the bridge', in the opening post of the thread, I could have said that, during Elgar's lifetime, the Blues and the Jazz Age had begun, followed by, The Big Band Sound, Skiffle, Rock n' Roll, Soul and all subsequent modern genres (all were, in their time, popular music - for many that hasn't stopped).

With the early Cockney Rebel, in my view, besides the Elgar-esque, they were also slightly infused with folk-rock, probably traces of the band Odin, through which Harley and Crocker, first associated (perhaps though, seniority in their positions were different in the beginning? Could this have planted seed for the 1974 dissention?) Whatever, all these experiences and influences contributed to the early Cockney Rebel unique and new sound and I would say that Harley/Crocker probably steered the earliest musical direction (with Steve undoubtedly at the helm). X
Last Edit: 1 month 3 weeks ago by Jem 75. Reason: repositioned soul and reggae in subsequent genres