Steve Harley

& Cockney Rebel

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: The Human Menagerie of Cockney Rebel (1973)

The Human Menagerie of Cockney Rebel (1973) 1 year 8 months ago #13147

• Jem 75
This was the first album I bought, in January 1975 (My Mum had bought 'Get It On', by T Rex, for me, in 1971, my first single - I have 'Hobo with A Grin' now too and of course Marc Bolan plays with Steve on that album).

I was in 5A2 and approaching 16 years old. Before the end of the 70's, I had all the studio vinyl albums* of Cockney Rebel ('Mark I') and Steve Harley & Cockney Rebel ('Mark II'), including 'Face to Face' (I remember dancing with my French girlfriend of the time, 1977, - she was teaching me - to ' (I Believe) Love's A Prima Donna [Live]'), as well as the five studio albums by Roxy Music, plus 'Viva Roxy Music' (their live album). All those original albums plus a couple by Split Enz, are now in 'a special case'. With the re-emergence of vinyl (we have an old vinyl player), we intend to treat ourselves to a new system, in the near future.

What I liked about it, The Human Menagerie, at 16, was the cover, the images, the gatefold, the lyrics, on the inside leaf (which I learned very quickly - in that, this album, for me, is quite unique amongst all my albums) and of course, the music.

What I like about it now, at 63, as someone who has had one career (including a six year spell commuting to and from our capital) and is embarking upon another, in health sciences, is that, in my view, it is both Darwinian and Freudian (two of my biggest non-music 'influencers') - regarding the latter, especially, 'Mirror Freak' and 'Death Trip'.

I still love the album, selfishly, because acquiring that, kick-started a six month period, amongst my happiest, so far. Thanks. (If I may borrow a line from Steve),
Stay your way,
Jem '75 X

* Except 'Timeless Flight' which I acquired on CD in the 2000's (7 July 2023)
Last Edit: 9 months 1 week ago by Jem 75. Reason: inserted (I Believe)
Please login/register to post on the forum.

The Human Menagerie of Cockney Rebel (1973) 9 months 1 week ago #13240

• Jem 75
www.steveharley.com/latest-news/1078-ste...s-show.html#ccomment

Thoughts (today), comments and memories of early listening to, The Human Menagerie of Cockney Rebel...all tracks by Harley (except as otherwise stated)...

HIDEAWAY
Great rhythm guitar - Steve played it on the Old Grey Whistle Test (see Patrick's comment on link above) but I wonder whether it was him (or John aka Jean-Paul, on the album)? Of course the album credits Steve with "Vocals" and "All Songs Written & Composed" and Jean-Paul Crocker with "Electric Violin, Mandolin & Guitar", so I suppose that was the case. Especially given that this was the 'introducing album', I can understand Steve wanting each band members part, to play to each of the individual strengths. Undoubtedly, it was a strong band.

What were the lyrics about? Insecurity, fear, the recollection of an event, or something else entirely? Whatever, a brilliant track to open the album. Slightly dark but with an 'up' string melody.

WHAT RUTHY SAID
At one time, relatively recently, looking back on it, Steve made the comment that this could have been the most conventional single. Ruthy is fun to be with and (was) desirable. The Social life of the human animal. Terrific wordplay and great lyric. Great drumming from Stuart.

LORETTA'S TALE
Like Ruthy, I would imagine she (was) desirable. People move on. Beautiful mandolin. A unique sound for the fans, back in the day. Too sophisticated for today's taste. The human condition.

A nice 2012 (live, orchestral version) already in the public domain:

CRAZY RAVER
In 1975 (and today) I thought (/think), this one sounds most like rock n' roll. I can imagine 'Teds' dancing to it. ("Teddy Boys are farming, It's all a little alarming...." was another Harley composition). Whilst I'm adding this, I'll just give out a nod to Harry Thompson, a genuine (late) Ted in 1975, at my school. He said to me (during metalwork) that he thought it would be only a couple of years before Teds made a proper comeback. It never really happened but he was partly correct with a few 'rumblings' in the immediate aftermath of punk. I think there were still pockets, of Ted followers, in London mainly. Anyway, Harry was something of a crazy raver himself. Rave on! Buddy Holly was a huge talent - I know Steve respects his work...(I wonder if Buddy was in Steve's mind when he penned this song?)

SEBASTIAN
With Death Trip, respective tracks closing each side of the album, a masterpiece, on all levels.

MIRROR FREAK
This one, with My Only Vice and Death Trip, are my three personal favourites. These three tracks did the most to enable me to develop my own ego, from all the pop music I've ever listened to. As my first single was Get It On (Bolan, 1971), this seems appropriate to me.

MY ONLY VICE IS...
I confess (lol) that I used to do a kind of a cross between Irish dancing and moves inspired by Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull, to this one, in front of my mirror (freak)! Vibrant. Celebratory. Endorphin producing, FANTASTIC... (that violin)

MURIEL THE ACTOR
Great fun. Base. Great nod to Biba. Cheery, all with a reference to schizophrenia (one late member of our family - earlier generation - and with six siblings, was diagnosed with this mental illness. I studied it a couple of academic years ago, a common factor, I found at least, was trauma).

CHAMELEON
A preamble (and more) to the magnificent...

DEATH TRIP
Dark but defiant and a trip applying to all individuals of all menageries. The closest (for me) to genius.

As an album, it is my favourite. How could it not be, with the Darwinian and Freudian undertones?! My other Steve Harley / Cockney Rebel favourites are scattered throughout the later albums, singles and B-sides.

BW,
Jem
X

Other relevant link(s):

www.steveharley.com/forum/7-welcome-mat/...the-elgar-esque.html
Last Edit: 5 months 1 week ago by Jem 75. Reason: Guitar credit, album.

The Human Menagerie of Cockney Rebel (1973) 3 months 4 weeks ago #13255

• Jem 75
"...I continued to perform regularly at the Three Tuns [Beckenham]. That's where Cockney Rebel was born." Steve Harley [2017]

Reference: Jerome Soligny (2023), 'David Bowie, Rainbow Man, 1967-1980', Monoray, Octopus Publishing Group Ltd., London.

My mother-in-law got the book for me for Christmas and it's a very good read.

Now that we've heard from Steve, it seems silly to avoid posting until I next see and hear him. I hope you've all had a good Christmas and every best wish for 2024, to, Steve, Stuart, Barry, David, James, Oli, their families, Team Harley and fellow fans!

X
Last Edit: 3 months 4 weeks ago by Jem 75. Reason: minor edit

The Human Menagerie of Cockney Rebel (1973) 2 months 3 weeks ago #13260

• Jem 75
Further discussion (some speculative, fanciful - my views, or part true part false? I feel a Roxy pun coming on, vis-a-vis, the lyrics of For Your Pleasure, Ferry, 1973) on SEBASTIAN (I've also linked the following from elsewhere within this site):

www.steveharley.com/latest-news/1083-ste...tian-celebrated.html

In my second post of my thread, I said;

'SEBASTIAN
With Death Trip, respective tracks closing each side of the album, a masterpiece, on all levels.'

Elsewhere herein (I can't remember quite where, sorry), I made the view that I thought The Human Menagerie, was the nearest to a concept album of any by Cockney Rebel. I feel that even more given a) Sebastian and Death Trip close each side of the exquisite album and b) Having watched/listened last night to Waldemar Januszczak, on Sky Arts, 'Arts Wildest Movement...Mannerism', whilst none of that was directly or obviously connected.

Waldemar said, "...Saint Sebastian the archetypal mannerist saint...He should be in pain but he doesn't show it...The arrows of death have become the arrows of ecstasy...'

Steve's first memorable line and a half in his song is, of course, "Radiate simply, the candle is burning,
so low for me..." and the later repeated chorus is (simply);

"Somebody called me Sebastian
Somebody called me Sebastian"

My thoughts are that pain and ecstasy are the joint main themes of the song, latterly, "...Love me sublime..." My view is that somebody, perhaps, did call (Steve) Sebastian. True or false, assuming true, such a person would have to be very important in the life of the writer. Whatever, Steve undeniably wanted the record 'out there', very early on in his and Cockney Rebel's career...
Last Edit: 2 months 3 weeks ago by Jem 75. Reason: second post of the thread not the original

The Human Menagerie of Cockney Rebel (1973) 1 month 3 weeks ago #13270

• Jem 75
Writing (again) on my other two threads under the 'Welcome..' section of the Forum this morning, has made me realise that there is also, perhaps a slightly tenuous link (though, for me, revealing Steve's writing talent during his initial period of 'hunger' and after all, All men are hungry, forgive the pun) between this, my favourite album, and his and Cockney Rebel's biggest single hit, Make Me Smile (Come Up and See Me).

The earliest origins of Make Me Smile, occurred in 1971 or 1972 (somewhere Steve) I believe, confirmed that (I'm pretty sure it's during a written or oral interview, that I've also commented on one of the features within the Home/ Latest News sections).

If this is correct, Steve, between 1971, 1972, 1973, 1974 and ultimately, 1975, was learning and developing, at a fantastic rate, and was in full dendritic, neuronal and creative flow...

XXX
Last Edit: 1 month 3 weeks ago by Jem 75. Reason: improved reading / writing