Steve Harley

& Cockney Rebel

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: A friend for life

A friend for life 9 years 5 months ago #9941

• Cannon
Hi everyone, I'm hoping someone out there can help me !!!

This is my final throw of the dice to provide my wife with a memorable Christmas prezzie that would mean more to her than anything money can buy. We always try to be inventive and put way more thought than money into Christmas gifts, a way we can show our love for each other.

Last year we kind of adopted "A Friend for Life" as OUR song. I have always loved music and though not a singer by any stretch of the imagination I enjoy " howling" along to songs while out and about in my van every day . :) the thought of being heard singing or public speaking or that sort of thing fills me with dread, not even my wife has heard my howling lol. To show her how much she means to me and that I would do anything for her, I had a idea to record a friend for life for her and present it to her on cd on Christmas day .

Well here's my problem...... The recording studio does not have this backing track and is unable to source it. Does anyone out there know if this is available? Is it possible, is it considered a no- no in the business or can someone out there help me. I know nothing about this sort of thing but don't want to give up on what would be the ultimate sacrifice for a prezzie !

Please, please can anyone help me ???

Many thanks in anticipation
Please login/register to post on the forum.

Re:A friend for life 9 years 5 months ago #9943

• cheri
I'm sorry I can't help; I know nothing about that sort of thing. But, I really, REALLY hope you're able to get your wish and record the song for your wife. I think it's really lovely and romantic of you. Good luck!!

Cheri

Re:A friend for life 9 years 5 months ago #9944

• Stella Day
  • Reassuringly expensive.
Cannon wrote:
Hi everyone, I'm hoping someone out there can help me !!!

This is my final throw of the dice to provide my wife with a memorable Christmas prezzie that would mean more to her than anything money can buy. We always try to be inventive and put way more thought than money into Christmas gifts, a way we can show our love for each other.

Last year we kind of adopted "A Friend for Life" as OUR song. I have always loved music and though not a singer by any stretch of the imagination I enjoy " howling" along to songs while out and about in my van every day . :) the thought of being heard singing or public speaking or that sort of thing fills me with dread, not even my wife has heard my howling lol. To show her how much she means to me and that I would do anything for her, I had a idea to record a friend for life for her and present it to her on cd on Christmas day .

Well here's my problem...... The recording studio does not have this backing track and is unable to source it. Does anyone out there know if this is available? Is it possible, is it considered a no- no in the business or can someone out there help me. I know nothing about this sort of thing but don't want to give up on what would be the ultimate sacrifice for a prezzie !

Please, please can anyone help me ???

Many thanks in anticipation

What a lovely idea!
I don't know much about backing tracks but maybe they're only available for karaoke/sing-a-long kinds of songs. But, I was thinking, do you have a friend who can play guitar and back you? The result would be much more personal. The chords and lyrics were made available on the website. Here they are.
www.steveharley.com/images/stories/A_Friend_For_Life.pdf

Good Luck.
If you can't say something nice don't say nothing at all.

Re:A friend for life 9 years 5 months ago #9946

• Cannon
Thank you both, had looked at getting session musicians but the cost would start spiralling,I would need guitar violin and piano. it would appear backing tracks for commercial crap songs are the only ones readily available.

Please if there is anyone out there that can help me , please, please get in touch.

Many thanx

Re:A friend for life 9 years 5 months ago #9947

• midge
Have you looked in to the possibility of removing the lead vocals from the actual record and using that? As long as you aren't going to make any money, distribute the song or do anything that will affect Steve's reputation I can't see that it will upset anybody. There's a website called make-your-own-karaoke.com that does just this (I'm sure Rachel will intervene if this is out of order). Costs $31 as well but I notice there aren't any testimonials on the website; so buyer beware!

Good luck anyway, it's a great idea.

Re:A friend for life 9 years 5 months ago #9948

• Cannon
Thanks for that, I don't know of legalities regarding this but would guess it's a definite no- no . I asked the studio I intend to use and they basically said so . ,that's their integrity intact lol so well done them !!

I have looked into the make your own karaoke thing but seems the results are very poor and unsatisfactory.

One glimmer of hope I have found is a custom made backing track as near as possible to the original at a cost of 50 euro. Some very good feedback and reviews. Always assuming these are genuine ! Always gonna be a gamble I suppose but not too much to lose I guess.

Thanks for replying
  • Page: