Steve Harley

& Cockney Rebel

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Timeless Flight

Timeless Flight 9 years 8 months ago #9689

• mick_mckenzie
Following the splendid Menagerie/Psychomodo shows, and talk of similar with Best Years Of Our Lives, I think, and it may be sacrilege to some, that I'd rather hear Timeless Flight given the full show treatment. Possibly not the orchestra, although Black Or White merits as many orchestras as you can fit on a stage at any one time, but nevertheless a complete run through.

While the album and singles weren't as commercially successful as earlier releases, I do believe this is the one where Steve seriously matured as a songwriter, creating a more diverse album that still hung together remarkably well. It's not my favourite SH/CR album, but for some weird reason it is the one I play most, and go back to constantly.

So I will live in hope of a gig I'm probably never going to get, but after the last two years maybe I've been spoilt enough anyway.

Mick
Please login/register to post on the forum.

Re:Timeless Flight 9 years 8 months ago #9690

• FALLAJ
Agree.This is one of my favourite albums also.However it is heavily influenced by Duncan Mackay on keyboards.If it were to be done in its entirety it would have to be with a keyboard player as good as Duncan.There are not many better keyboard players than Duncan.No disrespect to James Lacelles but he can not play the songs Duncan played on to the same high standard. Duncan is my favourite keyboard player of all time and it would be great to see him play live again.

Re:Timeless Flight 9 years 8 months ago #9691

• WMOORE
No Disrespect to FALLAJ but what a ridiculous comment. I have never seen a song from Timeless Flight played and thought it was anything but spot on. James Lascelles is top drawer and if he wasn't then I doubt he would have lasted this long.

Re:Timeless Flight 9 years 8 months ago #9692

• Tglyn
Totally agree WMOORE. James is tops for me simply an amazing keyboard player and can rise to any performance. Very highly regarded

Re:Timeless Flight 9 years 8 months ago #9693

• GedKen
They are both great musicians of course, and bring their own individual styles to the party.

I took ages to find two of Duncan's albums 'Score' and 'Visa' (pre-ebay) and I have yet to get my hands on a copy of 'Chimera'. And of course he has had an excellent career so far.

James's Wikipedia makes for interesting reading. A very talented musician who does much charity work as well. Apparently James is also 55th in line to the English throne.

So be careful Fallaj, you are entitled to your opinion, but one of those guys might have you locked up in the Tower of London! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

PS - I'd be happy with a (stripped down) acoustic version of Timeless Flight.

Re:Timeless Flight 9 years 8 months ago #9699

• mick_mckenzie
That's nifty idea. I think I could take a stripped down acoustic Timeless Flight gig.
Oh bollox, I know i could.
And it would be a lot easier (and cheaper) to set up than the full monty. Let's be havin' it. ;)

Mick