Steve Harley

& Cockney Rebel

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Phil Palmer

Phil Palmer 9 years 9 months ago #9546

• Tglyn
Great to se my cousin Phil Palmer at Glastonbury far right solo lead guitar, he is an original band member of Dire Straits and is also related to Stephen via my wife and myself, what a family if you add Ray and Dave Davies of the Kinks as well. Amazing that Phil and James from the band have played many times together
Phil
Please login/register to post on the forum.

Re:Phil Palmer 9 years 9 months ago #9551

• newiejudy
Wow, what an amazing family tree you have!! Must be great for family singalongs if they all get together ...
Judy x

Re:Phil Palmer 9 years 9 months ago #9554

• stewart g
Great post Tony! :) and to continue the connections..something tells me that Guy Fletcher who was also in the John Illsley Band at Glastonbury may well have been a part of Cockney Rebel for dates in 1980 and 1981? perhaps if Ray Smith is looking in he could confirm this for us? :)

Re:Phil Palmer 9 years 9 months ago #9555

• Tglyn
Thanks for getting back Stewart, interesting query you raised. Would love to know more, might have to make a phone call :). Shame I only made to being a tea chest base player in a skiffle group.....

Re:Phil Palmer 9 years 9 months ago #9556

• RachelPAtoSH
I spoke to Steve, and asked about this. His memory is:

"I gave Guy Fletcher his first professional job. He was working as resident keyboard player in a pub venue in the Slough area, and being "managed" by Duncan Mackay's then wife, Anne-Marie, who recommended him. He is the nephew of the other Guy Fletcher, the great songwriter - many hits in the 60s/70s, and a leading light now at BASCA. Young Guy left us to join Mark Knoffler in Dire Straits, and played with Mark on his solo projects - probably still does. He was a good player and a very nice young man. As for Phil Palmer - he was my lead guitarist on The Candidate album, and a sensational player. One of the best."

Re:Phil Palmer 9 years 9 months ago #9558

• Tglyn
Thanks Rachel you beat me to it. Really didn't know about this fine man and his work, my eyes have been opened once again. Interesting the background of Guy includes working with Mark along with cousin Phil Palmer. I will have to have a chat with Phil and Guy, wish I had known a couple of weeks ago when we met up. great to see them both working together at Glastonbury, got to say I have played the yTube video many many times and I love it. Phil is a true gentleman, What a small world it is about Stephen and to think that Phil and James have played many times together. Just a couple of weeks ago family Ray and Dave Davies sent their best wishes to Stephen..I love them all...Thanks Rachel soooo interesting, must have a listen to the The Candidate album. Thanks Stephen for the invaluable info...chat again soon
Tony
  • Page: