Steve Harley

& Cockney Rebel

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Royal Albert Hall.

Royal Albert Hall. 9 years 9 months ago #9503

• Stella Day
  • Reassuringly expensive.
Deborah wrote on facebook that she had "floated out of the Hall" and that sums it up for me too. It was a great night and the band, orchestra and choir were on top form but, better still the orchestra and choir seem to have relaxed comfortably into their roles. The soloist on Death Trip who does the "Ah ah ah ah ahs!" was particularly stunning!
Unusually it was Steve Norman, the saxophonist and percussionist, who caught my eye as he played his instruments and danced away.He darted from instrument to instrument like a busy little insect. He has turned bashing a tambourine into an art. :laugh:
James Lascelles and Robbie played with their usual aplomb and the bass player, too (sorry, can't remember his name) played with great enthusiasm but I missed Lincoln being there. I feel we get robbed of Barry's fantastic violin solos on these occasions which,I guess, is in keeping with the straight reproduction of the two albums being played live but a shame nevertheless.

Some like to dance. I'm no dancer :dry: but after a while boogying in one's seat gets tiresome and for some very frustrating. The two girls next to me were moving so much that the whole row of seats were moving. I was glad I have maintained fantastic bladder control.....even after having had nine babies. Thank heaven for pelvic floor exercises, eh girls?
The security people (some of whom looked worried when we stood up) let us leave our seats at the end as we all danced and sang along to Make Me Smile with special guests Jim Cregan and Stuart Elliott!! What an atmosphere.
So Deborah, I floated out too. It had been like a fairy tale.
If you can't say something nice don't say nothing at all.
Please login/register to post on the forum.

Re:Royal Albert Hall. 9 years 9 months ago #9505

• Daz401
  • I've been thro 700 changes, and thats just a few
It was so amazin, the best show ever. Every London show I learn something new, the first time it was the 45 song (Panorama) then Cavillers and last night big big deal, it was just like listing to the albums everything was perfect :lol:

Re:Royal Albert Hall. 9 years 9 months ago #9509

• My Only Vice
Floated in, floated out!

First time I've been to RAH - wonderful. Steve's performance - staggering.

The entire event a joy.
I'd hide if I could, but I'm red in a yellow sea . . .

Re:Royal Albert Hall. 9 years 9 months ago #9513

• Maelitta
Even though we were in Birmingham in november 2012 for the first performance with orchestra and choir, we came again from Paris to the Royal Albert Hall.

That was my first chance to be in this mythic place and indeed - even if we found the acoustic a bit under the acoustic of the Birmingham Symphony Hall - it was gorgeous.

The most incredible moment was without doubt Death Trip. I was hugely impressed. Goose pimples.

All show was great. So pleased to see Jim Cregan himself getting there at the end !
A special mention to Steve Norman who delighted us with his charismatic presence, his way of being so happy to play there and his talent for entertaining !

Re: Royal Albert Hall. 9 years 9 months ago #9516

• JacB
  • Oh, but it's magic.......
Stella, I'm so sorry if it was my friend and I who tested your bladder control (stalls H, row 8??) but there was no way we could keep still!! We always get so excited when we see the band and somehow revert to being 55year old teenagers! Wasn't it amazing though?

Re:Royal Albert Hall. 9 years 9 months ago #9519

• ALEXA
HI JacB and Stella

Or it could have been us. I think most of the RAH couldn't keep still on Saturday night.
What a performance from the great man himself. Steve never fails to deliver and we should know. We've been going to see him since 1975. Over the last 20 years about 3 or 4 times a year if possible, but Saturday will always be a very special night for us. Purely magical.
Roll on September. Just hope I can wait that long. In the meantime I have the fabulous Best Years Definitive Collection to keep me going.
Thank you Steve for giving us so much pleasure over the last 40 years. You will always look 24 to me.
Love Alexa
xxxxxx