Steve Harley

& Cockney Rebel

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Fantastic set at Butlins

Fantastic set at Butlins 12 years 2 months ago #4314

• andyfearon
Originally posted on Guestbook by Rogparki:

"Had the privelege to be at Butlins last weekend .Ok most of it was a bit Naff but travelled halfway down the country to see Steve and the boys especially . I know he had to do the seventies stuff but he managed to fit in some of his later stuff ,an amazing set ,made my weekend (I knew it would ) . To be honest Steve I was a bit apprehensive about how your "esoteric,stirring stuff " would go down ,but everyone around us went wild ! Steve ,nice to know you got home by midnight,wish you'd have been still playing then . All the talk over the next day at the resort with everyone I spoke with was how fantastic steve and the boys were . I've followed Steve for years and love the concerts and own all the CDs etc ,and he's certainly gained many more after this performance . Quality of Mercy is my favourite to date and I recommended it to all the folks I spoke to who ,prior to Saturday, only knew Steve for Come up and see me make me smile . It was a short set unfortunately but it made my weekend ,thanks Steve. To the American Lady who wonders what a Holiday camp is ,you'd call it a resort . Two Big Entertainment halls ,swimming pool, funfair,bars ,fast food ,2 Hotels ,hundreds of chalets ,Disco etc all in one complex . OK the other bands at the 70s weekend were average at best with laptops providing most of the music but Steves set made our weekend .Dont do the 70s circuit Steve but maybe enrich it from time to time with your presence . Thanks Steve you made my weekend and also made it for hundreds of others who previously did not know just how bloody brilliant you and the band are . Thanks Rog"
Please login/register to post on the forum.

Re:Fantastic set at Butlins 12 years 2 months ago #4329

• THE PHANTOM
  • CHELSEA SUPPORTING HARLEY FAN SINCE '73, TWO SONS.
Steve was as enthusiastic as he could be. but in my honest opinion. with wife in tow, I have seen the guys play better but I could'nt give an Eartha, I, like our hero gladly left town before my ears were assaulted once again by laptop music!! The wild mouse was good though. xxx.

Re:Fantastic set at Butlins 12 years 2 months ago #4330

• THE PHANTOM
  • CHELSEA SUPPORTING HARLEY FAN SINCE '73, TWO SONS.
Steve was as enthusiastic as he could be. but in my honest opinion. with wife in tow, I have seen the guys play better but I could'nt give an Eartha, I, like our hero gladly left town before my ears were assaulted once again by laptop music!! The wild mouse was good though. xxx.

Re:Fantastic set at Butlins 12 years 2 months ago #4459

• andyfearon
Originally posted by Sid as a comment to Steve's Diary 28/02/12:

I was at the Butlin's Gig Steve. Had gone along on a mate's stag do, and only discovered you were appearing after booking. Having seen Cockney Rebel perform a couple of times in Liverpool in the Seventies, and loved the first 3 albums, I was really looking forward to it. I have to say you didnt dissapoint - your hour session was the highlight of what was a fantastic weekend. What was the name of that track with the extended violin solo? - dont think I've heard that before - Fan-bloody-tastic.

Just going back to the gigs I saw in the seventies. First time was at the Liverpool Stadium - I think you were supporting Wishbone Ash or someone? Then saw you again as the main act at the Liverpool Empire. Do you remember falling off the stage into the Orchestra pit at the Liverpool Empire? Fortunately you were able to walk back onto the stage a few minutes later and complete the set. Or is my mind playing tricks on me?

Anyway thanks for a great set at Butlitz (can't really call it that anymore since they rebuilt it into quite a decent place), I loved every minute of it. Unforgetable!! Especially the audiance participation on "Come up and see me", and that song with the Violin Solo. Superb!!