Steve Harley

& Cockney Rebel

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: A tribute to Steve Harley the consummate performer

A tribute to Steve Harley the consummate performer 4 weeks 17 hours ago #13284

• Usualsuspect
Some people are just born to entertain, and whilst over the years Steve gave his fans so much pleasure with his performances, one could see the pleasure it gave him, it was a mutual thing.

Steve contracted polio at a young age, what an inspirational achievement his story is to anyone looking to overcome a disability. After spending many years in hospital, reading the likes of Hemingway T.S.Elliot, and discovering Bob Dylan, he then started song writing and learning the guitar. He never felt sorry for himself or did he allow polio to define him. As he said it was only one leg, which gave him a limp, he couldn’t run for a bus, so what. In many respects getting polio helped make him what he is. Steve’s goal was to be the complete songwriter, which he knew was an impossible dream, but that’s what makes it a dream.

Yes he was brash and a rebel in his younger days, if he hadn’t of been he may never have written Make Me Smile (Come up and see me), but in his later years, once he had a wife and children he had matured, he had responsibilities. His lyrics in his songs were full of the poetry he filled his life with, the people that influenced him and those he looked up to.

Steve “knew what faith is, and what it’s worth”, more than anything else he was down to earth, humble, so very humble, and he appreciated his fans and afforded them his precious time, we love him for that…….
Last Edit: 4 weeks 10 hours ago by Usualsuspect. Reason: Didn’t read quite right
Please login/register to post on the forum.