Steve Harley

& Cockney Rebel

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Listening to Judy Teen again this afternoon evoked

Listening to Judy Teen again this afternoon evoked 10 months 1 week ago #13235

• Jem 75
...memories, which led to another line of thought and back again...

Steve Harley and Ian Dury (1942-2000) were two songwriters and performers from the 1970's that especially tied in to their London or Cockney roots. South London for Steve and West London for Ian.

Theirs was (an almost) unique approach, that was considerably successful for each of them. Steve Harley and players (can't recall whether he called it the acoustic band in those days) in 2000, played at the smallest venue I've ever been in myself - The Old Fire Station, Oxford. We went as two couples and were right at the front (close enough to see the weave on the blue towel Steve had close by).

Ian Dury had not long ago (then) died and Steve commented on the point that Ian was too young (he would have been either 57 or 58 when he passed) and (Steve) also said 'I've no idea whether there is any crossover between our audiences' (that line has stayed with me for the past 22/23 years).

Their accents added another dimension to the musicality, in my view. Poetic, interesting, dynamic and engaging. For Steve, Judy Teen galvanised this chosen (or instinctive) embedded approach to (their) work.

2nd edit (morning 2023's longest day!) - On that day back in 2000, 'Judy Teen' was received, from our perspective, as being (almost) the most enjoyable (v ...Make Me Smile). Harley & players (3no. in all, Barry was probably there...) have really honed that song, over the years. Linda and Roger (who were with Sash and I), particularly enjoyed it! To coin Stella's phrase, they were 'Harley Virgins', at the time...

Just realised something else. That was the one gig (since 1980) that I had to SIT DOWN (!) for at least most of the gig - as space was really tight, I can't recall the last few songs, regarding whether we were up on our feet (?) Barry probably was there because I can still hear those 'plucks' now! Brilliant!
(Note for Steve and/or management - if you come back to Oxford, consistent with my other thread close by (link below), try New Theatre (again).

www.steveharley.com/forum/4-suggestions/...r-steve-cockney.html

VBW, J.
Last Edit: 8 months 2 weeks ago by Jem 75. Reason: sorry Roger (lol)!!
Please login/register to post on the forum.

Listening to Judy Teen again this afternoon evoked 9 months 2 weeks ago #13237

• Jem 75
'Reply' (Further memories and a little research).

Judy Teen seems to have been the second most successful single - in the UK - after of course, Make Me Smile (Come Up and See Me), for Cockney Rebel / Steve Harley.

First impressions count and for me, as a fifteen year old boy in May 1974, the female performer right next to Steve on TOTP (who was/is she?) was so relevant and of interest. Admittedly she was playing (the) part (of Judy) as Steve was playing the part of her boyfriend. Cool.

Glam was dying at the time (which brings to mind Coventry Dave's thread on the Human Menagerie "Suits") and maybe that's why T Rex (who I loved too), were beginning to lose their chart prominence? Steve and Bryan Ferry were wearing black Biba (or Biba like) T shirts and the latter started wearing tuxedos. The Bowler added a nice finishing touch to Steve's look of '73/74.

As 1975 dawned (and I started styling myself on Harley, in my last year at senior school), Harley & Cockney Rebel - alongside Northern Soul - became the most fashionable ticket in town. Halcyon days (for me) but I try not to do too much of (Jethro Tull's) 'Living In The Past' (Ian Anderson went to the same Grammar School as my older brother)...
Last Edit: 9 months 2 weeks ago by Jem 75. Reason: necessary edit
The following user(s) said Thank You: midge

Listening to Judy Teen again this afternoon evoked 9 months 1 week ago #13238

• Jem 75
(Firstly) And thank you, midge.

(Secondly) A line of Harley's (Mirror Freak, written 1972, published/released 1973) might also refer to para 4 (from 5) of my 'reply' (I'm guessing here, but this is an educated guess - and for the avoidance of doubt, is not in the context of BF);

"And the new man he appears to be winning
What a shame, such a bore!"

Stay your way.

www.steveharley.com/forum/6-general-disc...erlands-clarity.html

www.steveharley.com/forum/6-general-disc...mins-in-utrecht.html

(Mirror Freak and Harley on Marc, 2nd link added 18/11/23, just to complete the 'routes' into the included Marc Bolan/ T Rex context)

My thoughts/feelings on Marc & T Rex (18/11/23), after seeing part of Sky Arts excellent NEW programme, broadcast (UK) on 17/11/23:

As I've indicated, 'Get It On' (1971) was my first (owned) single. This TV programme (I've seen/heard half - I may comment further when I have seen the rest) was/is excellent. I loved T Rex from hearing my older friend's 'Ride A White Swan' (Bolan, 1970) single, actually before my Mum bought me my first single.

The melodies were superb, especially from the period of 1970-1973 inclusive. I loved Marc, but MY FORMER VIEW (until last night and taking in all the views of Marc et al - including hugely successful other musicians, Elton John, Bowie, U2 et al) that from about 1976 he started losing his way - although his 1977 TV series, MARC (ITV), was also a success - and his last show famously including live playing with David Bowie - and that he couldn't adapt to the changing scene WAS TOTALLY WRONG. Had his life/the show, continued, this might have been part of his renaissance or at least, have developed his career in another direction, we'll never know.

This change of feeling is based on HIS musician STRENGTH of exceptional guitar playing, his deep lyrics and his own powerful imagination. AND the RHYTHMS! The guy was real, forget the rocker, the mod, the transition was complete (by 1971) into something unique. June his wife, helped. So did Gloria. So did Rolan, in the very short time they were able to share. Listen to some of those interviews in the early years of mounting success - the man was VERY ARTICULATE - No wonder he caught my 12 year old self's attention. And as a (former) 50 something, I was still buying his music.

Had the tragic (fateful and fatal) accident not occurred, I think that (post) punk (not demeaning his connection with the players of that movement), he'd have probably re-discovered his golden touch, at some later point. He worked hard for his success, as did Bowie, et al.

I am looking forward to the second half of the programme, in the very near future. Viva the music of T Rex! For me (also) the originators of GLAM...XX

P.S. The title of the programme:
ANGELHEADED HIPSTER: THE SONGS OF MARC BOLAN & T.REX, aired on Sky Arts at 9:00 PM, Friday 17 November.

Addendum (28/11/23) I'm getting totally into 'The Slider', particularly, at the moment (the neat chord arrangement and lyrics) and also to 'Cosmic Dancer', one or both will be soon added to my stick.

At this point I'd also 'big-up' Tony Visconti - 'the autobiography' (Harper Collins, 2007) I enjoyed some years ago (currently one foot and a half or 450mm, behind my left ear!) Bolan, Bowie and Morrissey - enough said!

The production just added strength to already strong writing and playing - big up also - (late, great) Finn, (great) Legend, (late, great) Currie (and later) Flowers - Herbie Flowers is a Bolan - Harley - Ferry - et al x many, connection.

TO ALL - have a good Christmas. TO STEVE - all continued best and hope recuperation progressing OK...
Last Edit: 5 months 2 hours ago by Jem 75. Reason: Addendum (28/11/23) - plus some late and greats