& Cockney Rebel

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Tunbridge Wells Tonight.

Tunbridge Wells Tonight. 8 years 5 months ago #10880

• Stella Day
  • Reassuringly expensive.
So excited about the concert tonight at T.Wells. Couldn't sleep from about 4am. What to wear? Will be bringing daughter, Martha with me. She'll be wearing her signed tshirt. It's going to be such fun! We're sitting in the front row and Martha insists that she will have the aisle seat because she "doesn't want to sit next to any weirdos." An "old flame" of mine, introduced to Steve Harley after borrowing my copy of Timeless Flight, many, many years ago, will be there a few rows behind. Always nice to say "hello" to him again (we only meet at Steve Harley concerts and funerals these days). Tunbridge Wells must be a strange venue to play. The audience are rather square and staid. Oh, and be nice to the staff Steve (I'm sure you are). Jim Davidson has been banned from ever playing the Assembly Halls again after last time when he was abusive to lighting staff and slated the management there. The lighting girl switched the lights off and forced him to perform in the dark. lol.

See you there Steve. Give us a wave ;)

P.S. Thrilled to be in the Tour Programme. :)
If you can't say something nice don't say nothing at all.
Please login/register to post on the forum.

Tunbridge Wells Tonight. 8 years 5 months ago #10881

• ffcforever
  • Primary School PE and School Sports Teacher
From someone who is also in the programme - saw yours Stella when I received my signed copy (I am Bus King?)).

I was at Southend and Steve's voice was suffering a little, I took two friends who thoroughly enjoyed themselves having never seen him live before.

You are both in for a treat and I am sure that even the staid people of Tunbridge Wells will be tapping their toes before getting up and dancing to a particular song. The title track was a particularly outstanding moment and from what I hear and have read every time they perform the track it just gets better and better.

Have fun, both of you!
The following user(s) said Thank You: , Stella Day

Tunbridge Wells Tonight. 8 years 5 months ago #10895

• Visions of Johanna
Steve was amazing last night at Tunbridge Wells. His voice is still so strong and the band were tight. I took my other half, a musician himself and he was stunned at how good they were.

I saw you Stella and your daughter, I was two rows immediately behind you! I noticed because she was young amongst all us foggies.

As to us being staid........ Steady on! I am from Bromley though :cheer:

Steve seems such a nice guy as well as being such a great musician.

A great night. Rock n' roll! B) :pinch:

Tunbridge Wells Tonight. 8 years 5 months ago #10899

• Stella Day
Well, what can I say apart from what's already been said before about the tour? Not much.
The band were brilliant, Steve was as warm and charismatic as ever. He gave it his all though his voice was obviously suffering. Jim, Duncan, Stuart and Marty and Barry were on top form and the Monalisa twins were fine and very cute. The stalls, where we were sitting were packed and there was a good atmosphere. Sit down gigs really are a bit odd, what with everyone just slightly jiggling in their seats or tapping their feet (some amusingly out of time........that's even funnier when they're clapping above their heads though).

The Best Years Of Our Lives was amazing to hear live and at the same time strange having only ever heard so many of the songs played on vinyl or CD. I enjoyed it very much but......... I think the fan's poll idea was fatally flawed. So many wonderful rarely heard tracks like Another Journey and Love (Compared With You) played last night but so many really popular crowd pleasers sacrificed in the process. There was no Judy Teen, no Mr. Soft, no Tumbling Down and :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: no Lighthouse. I know some peoples' spouses only turn up for that one.......
All that said, I didn't want the night to end and I came crashing down to earth when I got home. However, Martha managed to take one smudgy photo of Duncan and me outside the Stage Door and he gave Martha an autograph for her autograph book. What a lovely guy Duncan is!! It was lovely to meet him.
Looking forward to Folkestone next week. So glad I've booked another concert.

Tunbridge Wells Tonight. 8 years 5 months ago #10901

• RachelPAtoSH
Thanks for your report, Stella, and Steve is disappointed not to have met you and Martha at the backstage door - just one point, as Steve's crew and himself would like to clarify: his voice was not "obviously suffering" at all. Steve was on top form, hit every note and had a great time, very relaxed. The only time so far he has suffered a slight (not obviously apparently to the audience) throat restriction was in Southend.
More great singing performances to come!!

Rachel

Tunbridge Wells Tonight. 8 years 5 months ago #10902

• Stella Day
Rachel, I'm sorry if I gave a negative view there. I didn't mean to. I thought that at one point I witnessed a problem (probably just a "dry mouth" moment) and I was worried for Steve's performance for the rest of the concert and tour, that's all. I guess I was just listening out for a problem after ffcforever mentioned in his Southend report that "Steve apologised for his voice suffering from the previous nights exertions - all of us aren't getting any younger and it wasn't always noticeable.". Steve's voice was superb throughout and I hope I haven't given anyone the wrong impression.

As for Steve being "disappointed" not to have met me. Well........maybe next time.

Roll on Folkestone.

Stella. x
  • Page: