Steve Harley

& Cockney Rebel

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Southend

Southend 8 years 6 months ago #10831

• neil1
Wow, Steve apologized for his voice but there was no need. The man and the band were so tight the songs flowed. What a set, a real privilege. Will live with me for a long long time.
Please login/register to post on the forum.

Southend 8 years 6 months ago #10834

• BarryLowry@ntlworld.com
The Southend Gig was superb despite Steve having trouble with the voice (although until he told us, I wouldn't have noticed).The Sisters were great, I loved both of their songs and they became so part of the band, you would have thought they were there in 1974. Highlights for me were "Back to the Farm", "Best Years of Our Lives","(Love) Compared With You" and the proper version of "Come up and see me" which was out of this world. If I am being really Picky, then there were probably 2 flaws with the gig and both relate to the second half. Steve was getting everyone into the Best years vibe and then it all dampened down while the sisters had their second song. Don't get me wrong, the song was great, but it was, for me in the wrong place in the set. The second was the "demo" version of make me smile, For me it would have been better, given that the genius Jim Cregan was by your side, that you played the proper version, in its rightful place, as you eventually did for the encore; Hell you could have played it 3 or 4 times as long as Jim was the "Guitar". Other than those two minor quibbles Thank you Steve for a Great Night out

Southend 8 years 6 months ago #10836

• RichW
Breathtaking!!!
The Mona Lisa twins enhanced what was already a great line up and a set list chosen by the fans. I thought they were brilliant and personally I liked the way Steve slipped them in with their songs, showing them loads of respect for being the brilliant musicians they are.
I love the demo version of MMS. Brilliant in my opinion and one of many highlights. The thing that will live with me forever though, is that simply unbelievable version of Best Years. I was totally moved by that and the twins were amazing in helping make that song what it was last night.

Well done to Steve and everyone and thank you for a special night.

Southend 8 years 6 months ago #10837

• groverhead
Agreed re Best Years song. At the end, the players gathering around the main man, playing improvised music, riveting. That section will live long in the memory. Spell-binding, to be completely honest. One guy I heard talking to his friend after, was saying he's been in Manchester and that didn't happen, so like Steve always says, "never the same twice", but I hope future audiences get to witness that special moment. Still buzzing.

Southend 8 years 6 months ago #10838

• Aj
Steve said towards the end that no two shows are ever the same. Seen him so many times now and he is so right but he is always brilliant. Always gives everything and the audience always are with him throughout. But last night at Southend felt so emotional. Best years and Sebastian really moved me. Can't wait to see him on the last night in Guildford .

Southend 8 years 6 months ago #10839

• kevvy
I too thought Steve and the boys n girls were brilliant. The Palace is such a lovely venue too. Best bits for me were 1st set "Black or White" and wonderfully emotional "Sebastian". 2nd set "The Best Years of our lives" and of course the timeless "Make me smile" (both arrangements). I hope he does a show like this again with maybe the featured album being Timeless Flight. Keep on rockin' Steve!!
  • Page: