Steve Harley

& Cockney Rebel

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Geek Question (sorry)

Geek Question (sorry) 9 years 2 months ago #10126

• GedKen
I've seen Steve talk about how his early Cockney Rebel bowler-hatted image came about (through Clockwork Orange); but does anyone know why Steve chose the stage surname 'Harley'? It is not a question I have seen asked before. Just curious really. :unsure:
Please login/register to post on the forum.

Re: Geek Question (sorry) 9 years 2 months ago #10128

• Reb55
I'm pretty sure the name was taken from Harley-Davidson Motorcycles Ged. Sorry I cant point you in the direction of the source of this knowledge but I'm certain someone more "geeky" than myself will no doubt be able to enlighten you ;-)

Re: Geek Question (sorry) 9 years 2 months ago #10129

• GedKen
Ta Reb55,

it is me being geeky I'm afraid. Steve's surname is Nice of course. I just wondered what the motivation was for using a different (stage) name, and why choose 'Harley' in particular? Might be one for Rachel, who I am sure is lovely and not geeky at all. :)

Re: Geek Question (sorry) 9 years 2 months ago #10130

• Mr Raffles
I'm sure that Steve just thought of 'Harley' on the spur of the moment. Maybe the name 'Nice' wasn't in keeping with the image of an angry, young poet/musician!! Why did a certain David Jones become David Bowie. Did he like knives or did he simply like the sound of the name??

Re: Geek Question (sorry) 9 years 2 months ago #10131

• ipswich
Bowie changed his name because it clashed with Davy Jones of The Monkees. He then choose Bowie after the knife. Why that I don't know, but at a very early age Bowie was fascinated with America.

Re: Geek Question (sorry) 9 years 2 months ago #10132

• Stella Day
  • Reassuringly expensive.
Reb55 wrote:
I'm pretty sure the name was taken from Harley-Davidson Motorcycles Ged. Sorry I cant point you in the direction of the source of this knowledge but I'm certain someone more "geeky" than myself will no doubt be able to enlighten you ;-)
......and the geek prize goes to.......

Here's a quote from a Fab 208 (or might be Pink magazine). I don't have the date of the magazine. I just used to cut out the posters up and put them on my wall. This article was on the back of the poster page.
Entitled
"Harley an Angel?"

" Steve Harley admits to being arrogant, brash and very confident. With a nature like that he couldn't really keep his real name which is Steve Nice. It would never have suited his image.
As a boy, Steve could easily have become shy and nervous because he was struck by polio and had to use crutches until he was twelve. His dad however knew his son should never become full of self pity and helped him to say tough and strong. Steve has a very positive attitude to life now.
"Luck comes to those who are determined. I rarely relax. I can't afford to lose the sharp edge that I live on. When the last line-up of Cockney Rebel split up three of the members weren't even on speaking terms with me but I'm not in the rock business to be nice to people. All I'm concerned about is delivering the goods."
Steve enjoys the parties and attention from girls that stardom brings but at the moment he is fairly settled in a flat with singer, Yvonne Keeley. She's green-eyed, red-haired Dutch girl who he met in Holland. They have no marriage plans and Steve in fact rejects the whole concept of marriage. Their home near Marble Arch is quite small but tastefully furnished. Mr. Harley appreciates classy things. He likes to see girls in elegant leather shoes and stockings rather than huge platform shoes and red tights. Steve chose the name Harley as a surname because he associates it with Harley Davidson motorbikes which are a symbol of strength and the ultimate in their field. His aim is to be the same."

It's funny because I associate Harleys with sad, overweight blokes who only ride on Sundays. My husband is thinking of changing his name to John Triumph-Thruxton :laugh:
If you can't say something nice don't say nothing at all.
  • Page: