Steve Harley

& Cockney Rebel

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Hitting the G-Live Spot in Guildford

Hitting the G-Live Spot in Guildford 8 years 5 months ago #10951

• Charmpri
What a wonderful end to the tour and who knew there was so much emotion to be felt in Guildford. Steve Harley and his wonderful band worked a potentially reserved audience from ripples of applause into a sea of love and appreciation by the end of the evening. The great thing about these concerts is that every one is different but all superb and it is easy to tell from the reviews on this site that no audience has missed out on a qualty re-working of this seminal album plus extras. I feel lucky to have lasted the 40 years it's taken to get these musicians back together and yet for me the icing on the cake has been the addition of Mona and Lisa who are more than worth their place in the line-up. I hope to enjoy more of their work on a future SH Tour.

Steve's banter came across as very genuine and humble which makes for enjoyable anecdotes and they are varied from night to night. Steve's parting shot was to warn us that the refrain to Tumbling Down would follow us around in our heads the next day ( though personally it's the excellent 'Another Journey' I can't stop singing.

The only sad thing is that now this tour is over I feel like a kid who has opened his Christmas presents early and no longer has them to look forward to. I may just have to hibernate for the winter and look forward to a Harley New Year.
I know what faith is and what it's worth.
Please login/register to post on the forum.
The following user(s) said Thank You: , Munchkin1, Mad Pierre

Hitting the G-Live Spot in Guildford 8 years 4 months ago #10953

• Mr Raffles
Excellent end to the tour last night. No great surprises during the first half with a fan's choice of songs that hardly 'pushed the boat out' so to speak. Thought Nothing is Sacred was one of the best live versions of the song that I've heard. Maybe it was because Steve seemed to get all the words right for a change! The second half 'Best Years' performance was spot on and once again helped so much when the words and lyrics are rehearsed thoroughly and remembered in full adding to a brilliant delivery of such a great album. We'll miss the Mona Lisa Twins a lot. Their backing really enhanced so many of the songs and if they fail to make it big by themselves they should consider being part of the new look Cockney Rebel. Hat's off also to Jim and Duncan. Jim's guitar really stood out as it did back in 75/76. All in all a really successful tour which should be repeated next year with the complete Timeless Flight album. Hand's up who would like to see that??

Hitting the G-Live Spot in Guildford 8 years 4 months ago #10954

• Stella Day
  • Reassuringly expensive.
Mr Raffles wrote:
Excellent end to the tour last night. No great surprises during the first half with a fan's choice of songs that hardly 'pushed the boat out' so to speak. Thought Nothing is Sacred was one of the best live versions of the song that I've heard. Maybe it was because Steve seemed to get all the words right for a change! The second half 'Best Years' performance was spot on and once again helped so much when the words and lyrics are rehearsed thoroughly and remembered in full adding to a brilliant delivery of such a great album. We'll miss the Mona Lisa Twins a lot. Their backing really enhanced so many of the songs and if they fail to make it big by themselves they should consider being part of the new look Cockney Rebel. Hat's off also to Jim and Duncan. Jim's guitar really stood out as it did back in 75/76. All in all a really successful tour which should be repeated next year with the complete Timeless Flight album. Hand's up who would like to see that??

Me Me Me. My hands are up. :)

P.S. Steve spoke loosely on Radio Kent on Monday about wanting to do an acoustic tour next year with Mona, Lisa and Barry. Sounds good to me!

(A Timeless Flight tour is bound to happen as a natural progression, don't you think?)
If you can't say something nice don't say nothing at all.
The following user(s) said Thank You: , Munchkin1, deemac

Hitting the G-Live Spot in Guildford 8 years 4 months ago #10956

• alanmembury
My hands up!!!

Hitting the G-Live Spot in Guildford 8 years 4 months ago #10957

• Munchkin1
Mine is too!!!!!

Hitting the G-Live Spot in Guildford 8 years 4 months ago #10958

• anthonyday
not me im afraid im looking for a new album with band tour