Steve Harley

& Cockney Rebel

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: YORK - new "old" songs for thge set-list

Re:YORK - new "old" songs for thge set-list 9 years 5 months ago #9940

• therebel
don't think im gonna make it on the night but if not I would love to hear at a future gig too much tenderness vastly under used and under rated track damn gonna have to go and play it again now
Was in a frenzy from the midnight air when I saw the light
I realized only children can live upon a timeless flight
Please login/register to post on the forum.

Re:YORK - new "old" songs for thge set-list 9 years 5 months ago #9950

• FALLAJ
ll men are hungry,Hot youth, How good it feels, some may be difficult to play live but you did ask.

Re:YORK - new "old" songs for thge set-list 9 years 5 months ago #9956

• ajsmith
I keep leaning towards Irresistible. Let's forget for a minute the recording's 1980s sound, the production, and the other aspects of that decade. Focusing on the bare bones of the song itself - the melody is infectious, dynamic and energetic. The song has a powerful, feel-good vibe. I think it would fit nicely in the set to liven things up the same way a track like Love's a Prima Donna does. We know Steve is an exceptional wordsmith, but on more of a strictly musical level Irresistible is a good example of his knack for writing a particularly commercial, catchy number too. That's not to disregard any other songs as many can be defined as 'catchy', but there are those melodies that have that certain accessibility right from the beginning.

I've seen footage of a Cockney Rebel gig from 1992 and the increased reliance on guitar to perform the melody rather than keyboard made an interesting variation, and one that came off quite nicely. I reckon the current band would surpass that period's display of the song, and adapt the song to a new level. I'm sure Steve must be, or perhaps was, particularly fond of the song seeing that it was recorded twice as separate versions, and also appeared on Yes You Can years later. And as a bit of trivia it remains the last song to crack the UK Top 100 discounting re-issues of Make Me Smile and the Phantom of the Opera single.

Re:YORK - new "old" songs for thge set-list 9 years 4 months ago #9974

• Patrick
Having finally managed to secure a hotel for the night and tickets for me and the better half for the York gig I can finally have a bit of input!!

All Men Are Hungry

Yep that's it!

Re:YORK - new "old" songs for thge set-list 9 years 4 months ago #9993

• MARTWEB1957
A little short notice....

Riding The Waves (For Virginia Woolf).
(Love) Compared With You.
Big Big Deal.

Just to hear any of the old favorite's....
Can't wait!!!!!

Hope the gig as good the last "SH & Cockney Rebel" one at the York Opera House.