Steve Harley

& Cockney Rebel

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: The Lowry,Stranger Comes To Town

Re:The Lowry,Stranger Comes To Town 9 years 6 months ago #9819

• paulng57
Jimbo, we all had a great night last night. I have talked with you before. I am from Birmingham but my son Adam has moved to Manchester, so what an excuse was last night visit my son and see Steve too. See my avatar in about 1998/99 will have to check, but Dave Hornby the fan club secretary got people to send requests in for his tour. Adam as an 8 year old did that and at Leamington Spa Steve played Mr Soft for him, and then got him on stage and gave him a t shirt, although he only had a mans size. My avatar is from that special night so I know how special last night was for you. We were there last night at the side top row to your right and me my wife, Adam now 22 and his girlfriend. With wanting to meet your heroes, to shake Steve's hand would be mine, still not achieved, but adam my son has done just that. I hope Minnie gets that chance too :-)
Please login/register to post on the forum.

Re:The Lowry,Stranger Comes To Town 9 years 6 months ago #9820

• Harley fan
To Minnie's grandad: Unfortunately, I only have a picture of Minnie and Me, which was taken in the interval. As I was on Row M with a small camera, I didnt take one as I doubt it would have turned out anyway. However, I would like one of Steve and Minnie that Roxy took if poss. Send it via Jimbo. Ta.
It was so lovely to see her again, she was almost as excited as I was to be sitting through another gig. Bless. I tried to get a 'small white ladies t shirt' at the end, in the hope it would fit me!!, but Shop had shut his shop! Ah well, next time maybe.
Kisses to Minnie et al. Julie xx

Re:The Lowry,Stranger Comes To Town 9 years 6 months ago #9823

• rebelfreak1
  • jimbo
Hi mate think you are getting your names mixed up MINNIES GRAMPS IS JOHN 'therebel' on here,admittedly we are both big hefty ugly buggers but his goatee is much more exuberant than my effort! all the best anyway,
Jimbo. :)
'i fought a tiger just for the glory,the bloody battle was fierce and was gory,was like a scene from a kipling story,she sucked my blood like shes eating tandoori....'

Re:The Lowry,Stranger Comes To Town 9 years 6 months ago #9832

• paulng57
Oh thanks jimbo, apologies to you and john. My sentiments remain the same. A great show at the Lowry :-)

Re:The Lowry,Stranger Comes To Town 9 years 6 months ago #9833

• Becky
Hi!

Thanks to Steve, Barry, James and Harley fans old and young ("and how old is that?!"). Great post therebel (John?). I was telling my mum about Minnie, but couldn't remember exactly what Steve said, only that it made me laugh. And when he blew Minnie a kiss at the end, just lovely.

I stayed with my mum Thursday night, so I guess that makes me 'the guy from Marple!'. Then off to Salford Quays on Friday. Great venue; great show. Fantastic to hear True Love Will Find You In The End and (Love) Compared With You. Steve on top form (when isn't he) breaking into the theme song from Heartbeat during Riding The Waves - think it was Riding The Waves, four trains to get back home, so a little tired and forgetful. Also, his impression of EastEnders, boiled down to one word: "slag" - of course

It was a case of Becky no mates in Tier B. I didn't mind, would do it again without a thought, although next time Steve is in the Manchester area, my brother is hoping to join me.

Mick from Stockport, if you read this, I did see you; I'm guessing it was you that shouted out 'Stockport'(?) I wanted to shout back 'Marple', but didn't have the nerve, probably for the best!

So, no more Harley tickets in my desk drawer. I give myself a few months before I feel the 'need' - I bet York near to Christmas would be great...

Thanks again SH/CR and Harley fans.

All good things,

Becky x

PS Time for a cuppa and to finish reading all of the other posts.

Re:The Lowry,Stranger Comes To Town 9 years 6 months ago #9839

• mick_mckenzie
Lol, the guy from Marple ... ;)
Surely it wasn’t four trains to Marple; I’m guessing you must have travelled from further away?

Yes, I‘ve read it and yes it was gobby me shouting. Salford, mancland?? They’re all Stockport suburbs to me. And Marple is a lovely place, especially some of the pubs. I was on Tier A with three other Stockport chaps, all long time SH fans, and the consensus was “a fantastic night, and SH generally doesn’t get the credit he deserves in the music biz”.

It’s not just the great songs he’s written, the excellent musicianship; it’s the humanity and the interplay with the crowd. No-one does it better, as witnessed with John the Rebel’s granddaughter, Minnie, and the t-shirt and the poses. Heartwarming stuff. It makes no difference to the songs, of course, but it’s lovely to see the personal touch instead of another singer treating his fans as pieces of meat to be milked, if you know what I mean. And it also made it easy to pick out the Rebel, so I could say hello later on – the very happy looking chap with a huge grin. Nice to meet you, John.

I’m now umming and aah-ing about whether I can squeeze Wakefield or York in, with the overnight stops, the time off work, and the number of other non-SH gigs I have lined up before Christmas. But I’ll see what I can do, because it’ll all be worth it in the end.

Mick