Steve Harley

& Cockney Rebel

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Manchester..The Morning After The Gig...

Re:Manchester..The Morning After The Gig... 10 years 4 days ago #9198

• jollyroger
Has it ever been better? Of course not! Stu is right that SH allows Manchester a special place in his performing heart. And to that completely sold-out Bridgewater Hall, he seemed to have saved up something special. The voice was huge!! I can't sing - I've been a writer all my adult life, writing mostly about actors and singers, but I do know when a voice matures and grows and last night I heard wondrous notes and inflections form the Harley diaphragm and throat. It seemed at times like he might stay all night.....Big Big Deal, Spaced Out, from the young writer's days, to the gift of Make Me Smile, it was truly a great (GREAT) performance by a man at ease with himself. Judging by the words he spoke, the little vignettes that gave away some of his inner-most thoughts from the past, Harley does appear to have finally accepted that he is clever, can write brilliant songs, DOES belong in the highest Pantheon of rock stars, even if he himself is reluctant to admit it. I had a tear more than once; I laughed many times as he teased his audience, and gaped in awe at some of the magnificent playing, both by a hard-core proper rock band (Steve Norman, charismatic, Adam some drummer leading the band, James Lascelles looking like he was born to play a full length concert grand Steinway piano) and a young orchestra who could swing when asked and a choir that might have found some of the lyrics and rhythms "unusual" but managed to blend fine harmony with great commitment to the rock genre they'd agreed to share for that night. If you weren't there, grab a ticket for one of the June shows. I've seldom felt that sort of emotion either during or after a concert. Two great albums performed by 50+ great musicians. And Mr H....without whom.......
Can it ever get better? Of course not. Well - I expect so, actually. Because SH will always want it to be better, and he seems to have the touch. I am so glad I witnessed that occasion, and in Manchester, too, the special place in his performing heart
Please login/register to post on the forum.

Re:Manchester..The Morning After The Gig... 10 years 4 days ago #9200

• Graeme
Great posting by my old mate Stewart G aka Steve Harley's official Chronicler, as Steve himself announced on stage. You are a legend m'boy! I admit the seats were a stroke of genius on my part ha ha, but seriously what a view and more importantly what a gig. I was honestly a tad worried it may be an anti climax after the triumphant Birmingham gig, but how wrong could I be. It was a triumph and night I will never forget and once and for all proved that Steve Harley is one of Britain's finest songwriters and performers....something we die hards have always known and have always willing to tell anyone willing to listen. I won't go on about the gig, the songs, the band, the choir, the orchestra and the excellent and enthusiastic Steve Norman as you have eleoquently covered how good they all were/are in your posting. But I'd like to share your "get well soon" message to Lincoln...you were missed! Last, but not least, great to see all the Cockey Rabble boys & girls....you know who you all are. A finer bunch of people Mag and I couldn't hope to meet. As The Faces once said..."See you in the stalls". :)

Re:Manchester..The Morning After The Gig... 10 years 4 days ago #9202

• newiejudy
Had a wonderful weekend in Manchester with Glynis. Concert was brilliant, made even better cos we were in 2nd row right in front of Steve! He was fabulous once again ... the extra bonus tracks great, the finale of Make Me Smile the icing on the cake (only spoilt by the idiot jumping on stage & accosting Steve). The band all perfect .. Bill Dyer a great fill in for Lincoln (get well soon xx) I so loved getting to meet Barry, Adam, Robbie, James, Bill, plus Steve Norman after the show, they happily posed for photos, signed our programs & chatted away for ages despite obviously being shattered after the show. But so disappointed that Steve had already left the venue, after coming so far once again I really wanted a chance to meet him once again, but it wasn't to be.Will have to start saving for the next one!!!
PS hope Steve was OK after the "attack" on stage. We really felt for him when it happened & could see the frightened look on his face. Rachel...please pass on our best to him xx

Re:Manchester..The Morning After The Gig... 10 years 4 days ago #9204

• cheri
Jeez, do you guys have to make me feel so bad that I couldn't be there??? ;) Honestly, it sounds like it was FABULOUS! By luck, when the tickets went on sale, I was able to purchase two seats in the third row center, then after my wedding, honeymoon and buying furniture and lighting for our house, realized that I just couldn't swing it for the Manchester concert. I called the venue months ago to get a refund on my tickets, but they told me they couldn't refund me unless the show sold out. When I called them last week, the phone number was either disconnected or no longer in service! :( I tried three times to call them. So, then I got in touch with Deborah (Pandorah) to see if she could call them to get the tickets transferred to someone or use them herself and I have no idea whether the seats got filled or not. I certainly hope so. I was with you all in spirit at 1:30 p.m. Montana time when I knew the concert was in progress. So I would really love to see the show at the Royal Albert Hall in June, but as it turns out, Scott and I will be driving to California in late May for about three weeks and it's just not in the cards for me to be there. Now I hear talk that Steve is planning a UK tour next year to perform The Best Years of Our Lives along with a broad spectrum of his other songs. I can only hope against hope that I can make it for that one. It KILLS me that I can't just see him when I want to like all of you. It's just the BEST EXPERIENCE to watch him and listen to him. So, for now I just have to satisfy myself with the anticipation of seeing him again at some time, I just don't know when.

On another note, didn't he say that he was planning to lay down some tracks after the Manchester concert and bring out a new CD???? Is that still happening?? I can't wait to see what he comes out with next. As you are all saying, he is just THE BEST. I still cannot understand why we don't have him in the United States, he is such a treasure and such a unique talent. Really, there is no one like him and his music is so varied and good!! Surely there must be a market for him over here.

As for the guy who hopped up on the stage, was it done from love of Steve or what? What exactly happened?

Tell me if my seats were filled or not, it would be such a shame if they stayed empty. Glad that everyone had such a great time, and I'm so sorry to have missed it.

Love, Cheri

Re:Manchester..The Morning After The Gig... 10 years 4 days ago #9207

• RachelPAtoSH
Cheri,
Don't worry: Steve is fine; the guy is a huge fan but got over-enthusiastic through drink. It's a shame he spoilt the evening a little for some. Also, your seats were filled, and we will organise a full re-fund for you soon. The event was a complete sell-out - only restricted view seats behind our mixing desks were left off-sale.
RACHEL

Re:Manchester..The Morning After The Gig... 10 years 3 days ago #9211

• joanna
Good news all round . Thanks Rachel.
Smile x