Steve Harley

& Cockney Rebel

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Steve singing 'music of the night' from 'Phantom'

Re:Steve singing 'music of the night' from 'Phantom' 2 years 4 months ago #13115

• Stella Day
  • Reassuringly expensive.
Dear OperaGhost91.
I'm not sure Steve has any regrets about never appearing in the Phantom of the Opera but I'm pretty sure he's moved on after 35 years.
And he doesn't do "covers" ☺️
If you can't say something nice don't say nothing at all.
Last Edit: 2 years 4 months ago by Stella Day.
Please login/register to post on the forum.

Re:Steve singing 'music of the night' from 'Phantom' 1 year 5 months ago #13163

• Jem 75
Yes OperaGhost91, having listened to the YouTube clip rebelfreak1 posted with his/her original thread, earlier today, I agree with you.

You could FEEL in Steve's voice, the character he would have brought to the part. Brilliant.
Last Edit: 1 year 5 months ago by Jem 75.

Re:Steve singing 'music of the night' from 'Phantom' 1 year 5 months ago #13164

• Jem 75
Thanx for this YouTube clip Stella, yes it must have been somewhat bitter-sweet for Steve (at the time - as you've said elsewhere - he's well moved on since then), but it would have been a good move for him. No part - but sweet in that there was some financial compensation (as reported).

I disagree with CM about the implication of lesser acting experience, I would have been pretty confident of Harley being 'up there' in the acting stakes, as Bowie or Sting were.

At the time of the Phantom single (I think that I've remembered this correctly) it was about '86. That year I'd bought my own first home (flat) and in it (that Christmas) was a compilation album with Sarah and Steve singing Phantom...(I still have it). I love Sarah's voice anyway too, I have her with Andrea Bocelli on my old Walkman, with a few Cockney Rebel tracks et al, naturally.

Difficult one for me as a fan too, because I've liked both Steve Harley (since 1974) and Michael Crawford's work (for about, as long).

All the best to you and yours...
  • Page: