& Cockney Rebel

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: hidden message

hidden message 12 years 5 months ago #3192

• nicklee
  • proud to have requested that JW featured TBYOOL
Hi Everyone

I am hoping someone can put my mind at rest over something that has puzzled me for 36 years. I haven't searched the archive of the forum, so if this has been discussed before, I apologise

My vinyl copy of Best Years, that I bought in 1975, seemed to have a strange message played when the needle ran over the smooth plastic towards the centre of the LP on side two. It only made the sound for about the first three or four plays and then never again. I am convinced it was Steve saying something like "Mustn't laugh"

Please satisfy my curiosity someone. Did I hear it? Was it just a giltch? or is my memory letting me down

Cheers

Nick
Please login/register to post on the forum.

Re:hidden message 12 years 5 months ago #3194

• THE PHANTOM
  • CHELSEA SUPPORTING HARLEY FAN SINCE '73, TWO SONS.
There is nothing wrong with your memory Nick. Somebody says "but we musn't laugh at the end", but i don't know if it is steve.

Re:hidden message 12 years 5 months ago #3195

• jollyroger
This question came up at the time of the release of the album. In a music biz mag, Steve revealed that the voice belonged to bassist George Ford. I believe George passed away after a serious illness a year or two ago.

Re:hidden message 12 years 5 months ago #3196

• nicklee
  • proud to have requested that JW featured TBYOOL
Thanks guys

I remember being gutted when after a couple of plays it stopped doing it.

Thanks again

Nick

Re:hidden message 12 years 5 months ago #3226

• Michael Carraway
Haven't played vinyl for many years, but last time I put the stylus on The Psychomodo, the mess was still there, stick in the grooves as it ran out. You need a stylus/arm that isn't self-lifting, I think.

Re:hidden message 12 years 5 months ago #3343

• Crawsnest
Yes my vinyl of 'Best Years' had the same... "but you mustn't laugh at the end"...

Even though old record players didn't have any kind of memory, I found that if you lifted the arm before it lifted itself a few times then the arm would stop lifting and you could hear the message every time... hhhhmmmmm machines, never could work them out... Just a luddite at heart... ;)