Steve Harley

& Cockney Rebel

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Rod Stewart , A Friend For Life

Rod Stewart , A Friend For Life 8 years 7 months ago #10622

• My Only Vice
Really enjoyed Rod's version, and I hope it gets plenty of air play. It's refreshing to hear a cover that does justice to the original, and by an artiste that understands the original. Makes a change from some of the You Tube MMS covers that add nothing to a great song (Wedding Present excepted!):)
I'd hide if I could, but I'm red in a yellow sea . . .
Please login/register to post on the forum.

Rod Stewart , A Friend For Life 8 years 7 months ago #10630

• therebel
well its taken a while to get the chance of listening to rods version of a classic we all love and probably all hold dear to our Harley hearts.
and I have read all the above comments and I hope this doesn't upset anyone especially my friends on the forum or mr h who is a friend of rods but as im writing this im listening to mr Harleys version on very loud so as to cleanse my mind and ears from what I thought was bloody awful version I know everyone's different but there is no depth of voice no passion call me biased but I just cant listen that even the mrs just walked in and said what the hells that put the proper version on enough said that's why its on repeat and loud .
ps see you all soon cant wait to see the man in November :S :S :S
Was in a frenzy from the midnight air when I saw the light
I realized only children can live upon a timeless flight

Rod Stewart , A Friend For Life 8 years 7 months ago #10631

• mick_mckenzie
Probably goes against the consensus on here, but i think Rod should have retired when the Faces packed up. That way the memories would remain unsullied.

Mick

Rod Stewart , A Friend For Life 8 years 7 months ago #10632

• stewart g
By the time I really got into music The Faces had split,so I only caught up with them a few years later and there's no doubt they were a brilliant outfit.Rod would probably be the first to admit he's not always got it right since those Faces days however I still think he has produced some mighty fines tunes in his own name and he's always produced the goods on stage.Tracks like Sailing,Downtown Train,Brighton Beach and The Killing Of Georgie are pretty special to my ears anyway.

Rod Stewart , A Friend For Life 8 years 7 months ago #10633

• GedKen
I was delighted that Rod had recorded it, but I don't think it can hold a candle to the original song or singer.

On the upside, it is the sort of easy-listening version that could be played endlessly on Magic FM's 'stressbusters' section - so the royalties should roll in.

One day maybe a 'band of the moment' might discover '(Love) Compared with you' and we really would see a monster, monster hit.

Rod Stewart , A Friend For Life 8 years 7 months ago #10637

• cheri
Stella, just listened to the Rod Stewart interview. Thank you! :) It was a great interview and they played two of my favorite Rod Stewart songs: "First Cut is the Deepest" and "Downtown Train." Fabulous! Loved that he mentioned Steve and I thought he did a superb job with "A Friend for Life," but I swear Steve still sings that song the best!! What a treat to hear on a warm Summer night that will be quickly turning into a chilly Autumn.

Cheri