Steve Harley

& Cockney Rebel

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: The Lowry,Stranger Comes To Town

The Lowry,Stranger Comes To Town 9 years 5 months ago #9810

• stewart g
There great Steve Harley and Cockney Rebel Fans,you don't meet them for months ,sometimes years yet when you do your right back where you were!thanks to the ones I spent a little time with last night,new friends and old,always a pleasure,always a joy!
And on the stage in the cracking Theatre in The Lowry we got it all,touching stories,acts of great kindness and some ace tunes!loved especially The Stranger Comes To Town tracks and that beauty at the end from the Primadonna album!For a moment time stood still and I was back at The Palace in 1976 and I'm sure at one stage I could hear Tony Rivers singing in the background!It really was the icing on a very nice piece of cake!
Thanks to Steve,Barry and James and all for a top night! :)
Please login/register to post on the forum.

Re:The Lowry,Stranger Comes To Town 9 years 5 months ago #9813

• Noelternative
Hi Stewart ! Yes it was great to meet you and the others last night at last. I thoroughly enjoyed the tall tales an interesting banter! The sound there in The Lowry Quays Theatre was Amazing ! I was particularly blown away by the renditions of The Last Time I Saw You (Gonna visit the Songs from the shed version of this as recommended by Steve ) and Coast of Amalfi. My 4th show in just over a week and it was lovely to hear (Love) Compared With You in the encore and like you I could see & hear Tony Rivers on that stage. Another, such amazing night! Best wishes to you Jimbo, Graham, Steve, Mike, et al plus of course Julie B. Battled with torrential rain on the way home but came out on top!!! Til the next time I shall leave you with :woohoo:

Re:The Lowry,Stranger Comes To Town 9 years 5 months ago #9814

• Graeme
Yes it was an excellent night Stew and great to see you and all the other friendly faces new and old. It was first SH gig since the Orchestral Bridgewater earlier in this year and it was well worth the wait. What we got was 3 men on stage obviously loving what they do, a great set list, great musicianship (as always), nice friendly chat and stories and superb sound and acoustics in a packed out Quays Theatre in the Lowry. It was a perfect night that even the rain from theatre to car park couldn't put a dampener on. Roll on my 2 gigs of choice next year. PS What do you mean Minnie the T-Shirt wouldn't fit me? Ha! Ha! :-(

Re:The Lowry,Stranger Comes To Town 9 years 5 months ago #9815

• therebel
Graeme you would of had a fight on your hands mate she still had it on this morning lol having slept in it .what a night indeed as already said great music and lovely to see friends old and new and have a drink and a chat .but honestly I'm kinda still wondering if it was real mr h was brilliant with Minnie and I can't thank him enough for how he was with her.she has even asked her mum if it's ok to write a thank you to Steve and the guys . James was lovely all night watching her singing along and encouraging her and Barry keeping an eye on her from across the stage . I've put a bit on my Facebook page about it so all my friends could read it that know all about my musical wanderings to gig after gig so I will paste it in here.Last night was one of the best nights at a gig ever and for once it wasn't heavy metal . Steve Harley my first musical love and a man that has always kept my attention with his music . 12years old and listening to a man that I would still be listening to 40 years later and god knows how many times I've seen him live.when asked who your heroes are or who you would most like to have a conversation with Harley was always at the top of the list or very damn close40 years I've had a handshake and a very brief word with the man charming to me and Roxane at a gig last year and a picture that is displayed on a couple of my social media sites.you may think soft git but we all have our favourites In Life and Steve has always been up there .then last night at the Lowry theatre a three man acoustic set front row tickets me Roxy Chelsea and little Minnie 7 years old first front row seat at a gig but not her first gig she has been to a couple and seen Harley before at the bridge water with full orchestra .minnie had been told time and again you sure you want to sit at the front you gotta behave it's not a jumping about kinda thing tonight it's stay seated and no messing about .yeah grandad I want to be close as possible to see Steve and the others Ok then just remember what we have said .well Steve and Barry and James come on play 3or 4 tracks then Steve looks down and says and how old is that lol looking straight at Minnie 7 she replied after a little bit of hesitation 7 7 7 my god a seven year old sat at the front at my gig shit I will have to be carefull what I say much to the amusement of the crowd .steve was genuinely a bit shocked but carried on regardless singing and playing as only he can tune after tune hit after hit with Minnie sat there singing along like a lifetime fan would knowing near enough every word.James laceles on keyboard smiling and singing along watching Minnie and encouraging her .the an interval where Minnie took it upon herself to share her malteesers with all our friends and anyone else on the front row including the apply named shop the guy who sells merch and sets up guitar stuff for steve and really good guy we've know a good while who talks to all the Harley clan . So the lights dim and on for the second half come Steve and the guys Steve then talks for 10 minutes about his family and things this guy just holds am audience whether playing or talking think that's why my 40 years of following is worth every journey and ticket price.so at the end of his talk he looks ahain in Minnie's direction 7 really 7 and with a shake of his head plays yet another classic Harley song .7 yeah I can remember being 7 says Steve . Then with another story about his merchandise people buying small woman's size shirts with him on he shouts shop from the side who duly passes Steve a bag that he produces a small shirt from so what your name then . After a few shout outs Steve gets it Minnie that a great name well then Minnie you'd be come here then.well with only three foot between us and the stage Minnie a little puzzled steps up to the edge no no not there up here with me on stage get Minnie up here mum and grandad . Talk about absolute shock he may be one of my kinda heroes musically and a guy I'd love to talk to but when he is on stage that's his domain that's his castle apart from a couple of people trying to jump on stage over the years I don't think I've ever seen anyone up there . So up Minnie is lifted and walks over to Steve he shakes her hand and puts his shirt on over the front of her and says c'mon grandad get a picture . Dumbstruck would not even cover the feelings me and Roxy were having my lil Minnie up there with Harley both smiling away at us a hug a kiss and Steve sends her back tous just saying thanks Minnie enjoy yourself well don't think that was ever gonna be a problem I'm not even sure what the next two tracks he played were all I could do wS look at her and smile stupidly.45minutes later the last so g played Steve leant over and dropped the plectrum he had been playing with all night into Minnie's hands and blew her a kiss.what a night to remember and on only her second Harley gig 40 bloody years it took me to get a handshake lol .but seriously Steve Harley you made me Roxy and Chelsea's night but you blew away an already happy little girl with the kindness you and the guys showed I know this is a bit long winded but hey you don't get many nights in your life with that sort of interaction with the people you pay to go and watch and listen to so I just had to sit here and tell everyone about
Was in a frenzy from the midnight air when I saw the light
I realized only children can live upon a timeless flight

Re:The Lowry,Stranger Comes To Town 9 years 5 months ago #9816

• therebel
Ps just a shot in the dark did anyone capture-any camera phone video or audio of the gig when Minnie was with Steve I was that gob smacked I just sat there with a bloody stupid grin on my face and didn't video it. Just drop me a message in here if you have please
Was in a frenzy from the midnight air when I saw the light
I realized only children can live upon a timeless flight

Re:The Lowry,Stranger Comes To Town 9 years 5 months ago #9817

• cheri
Oh, therebel, your account made me think of how terribly I am missing being there this year. Steve's generosity to his fans is part of what makes him so special. I'm sure Minnie will remember that night forever. What a great story. :D

Cheri