Steve Harley

& Cockney Rebel

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: A Moment of Reflection

A Moment of Reflection 9 years 9 months ago #9515

• Singular Band
I realised on Saturday night at RAH that time flies past so quickly and I took a quick scan around and saw people like me, all similar ages and all with the same look of excitement. I had previously attended Birmingham and despite the inclement weather on that night, the concert was phenomenal and to hear all those tracks from those first two albums was simply stunning and I never thought that I would see the day when I would hear them live! On that day I attended the concert with my best friend, same age as me at 55, who likewise is a Big Big (Deal) Cockney Rebel aficionado. We went away back down the M40 reminiscing on those halcyon days of 1973 and 1974. Back in those days we were music snobs and our tastes were ostensibly and obsessively so, Cockney Rebel, Roxy Music and David Bowie. Nothing else really interested us and whilst other were into anything from David Cassidy right through to Greenslade, we remained stoical to those three artists. We detested the mainstream and would not entertain those somewhat laughable bands and artists that others followed like sheep.

As soon as it was announced that the same format concert would be played at the Royal Albert Hall I jumped at the chance and duly booked two tickets about six rows from the stage. This time though I thought that I would enlighten my lovely wife of 28 years (aka Mrs Singular Band) to the sounds of Cockney Rebel's first two albums. Mrs Singular Band is now half a century old and had never been to a gig until three years ago when I introduced her to Elbow and then to Roxy Music's 40th anniversary gig at the O2. She likes music but is not obsessive as I am!

I was slightly apprehensive on Saturday and not because of the night itself but how can you enlighten someone who has not experienced the Human Menagerie and The Psychomodo! She loved it and wanted to be there for me I guess but with or without her I was just absorbed in that moment of time from 7.30 to 10.30 is. All those memories of being an obsessive teenager completely absorbed by each and every track of those two albums came flooding back and I still knew each and every word! For me to hear live Spaced Out was stunning and then to hear, what is for me nearly the wholly grail of, Big Big Deal..............wow and I nearly shed a tear. Death Trip for me is my all time favourite track and I stood like others at the end of that song and clapped and clapped and I became 15 again. If only I knew then what I know now, particularly about women....but hey that's another conversation! I listened in silent appreciation to Steve talking about how the original members had left him in the lurch with regard to playing at the Reading Festival and that alone reminded me that my two sons' band is also playing at the Reading Festival this year! It was also great to catch up with another great friend of mine, Andy Howlett, who also along with me was and is likewise an obsessive Cockney Rebel aficionado. He'd come up with his daughter from Plymouth.

I left with my wife to dash back to Waterloo to catch the last train back to Sunningdale where we live and on that journey I sat quiet for that "Moment of Reflection" and realised what I had witnessed at The Royal Albert Hall. For me the best two albums and what an influence on me when I was a young impressionable teenager!

I'm no longer a music snob and now realise that even some of the other sounds coming out at the time actually were not too bad.

Whether or not I come and see The Best Years being performed I don't know as for me it is those first two albums that stand out. The musicians involved created a sound never in my mind repeated on later albums.

Thanks again Steve Harley.
Please login/register to post on the forum.

Re:A Moment of Reflection 9 years 9 months ago #9531

• My Only Vice
You speak for many of us. Well played! :)
I'd hide if I could, but I'm red in a yellow sea . . .

Re:A Moment of Reflection 9 years 9 months ago #9532

• Tglyn
Said with great feeling....
Tony

Re:A Moment of Reflection 9 years 9 months ago #9533

• Singular Band
Yes Tony, it is said with great feeling and I'm sure that everyone who has read this post feels the same (except about my wife of course ;) )

Furthermore I pretty much feel that we are all in the same position as those poignant lines from "Singular Band"..........namely "and now we have lots of pretty clothes, many friends and many foes, looking wonderful but heaven knows who will want us......." That track being my second favourite track after Death Trip by the way ;)

Best to everyone :kiss:

Terry