Steve Harley

& Cockney Rebel

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: June 28th....1974

June 28th....1974 9 years 11 months ago #9319

• GedKen
Following on from a recent enjoyable forum discussion with Mr Raffles I headed over to the British Library to dig out an old Melody Maker article from October 1974. (The BL staff were most helpful, they even got an 'out of service' scanner working so I could copy the piece - many thanx :) ).

The whole article was a two page MM special investigation (no less) looking at the reasons behind a spate of cancelled gigs during 1974. The Allmans, Frank Zappa, UFO, Uriah Heep, 10cc, Suzi Quarto, Jethro Tull, John Cale, Lindisfarne.... The MM article focussed specifically at a few of the high profile gigs cancelled that year, which included Cockney Rebel.

Cockney Rebel's cancellation came during that epic, tumultuous 44 date tour that began in late May and ran through to mid July, a time that also saw the release of The Psychomodo and Judy Teen hit the charts.

Here is the MM tale.

Cockney Rebel, Garden Club, Penzance, June 28

Rebel were playing in Plymouth the previous night and were due to reach the club by 2pm. But the club's manager claims he received a phone call from Cockney Rebel during the afternoon stating that the band's van had broken down and they would be arriving around 6.30pm.

"They'd planned to take five or six hours to set up, but even if they hurried there was no way they could do a sound check before 9pm. At 5.30 Steve Harley and his string of men came in... his attitude seemed to be 'how am I going to get through an audience of 1,000 people to get on the stage?' I explained that the band room opened direct onto the stage, so there'd be no problem, he wouldn't have to go through the audience. Then he said 'my drummer's not gonna play on that stage.' I told him that we'd had Free, Genesis, Status Quo, Yes, Georgie Fame with a 13 piece band, and Queen - and none of them had any problems. He said, 'well, you're talking about Cockney Rebel now...'"

The club's manager claims that, at 6pm, the band's manager decided to cancel Cockney Rebel's gig.

"So Be-Bop Deluxe went on and we gave everybody 50p out of their 80p back."

Cockney Rebel, however, claim that the club was unable to meet certain basic requirements stipulated by the band. The stage area, it is alleged, "was drastically smaller than that specified by the group." And the only access to the dressing room was through the audience and across the stage.

Mr Raffles an I had been bemoaning the fact that we never caught those early Cockney Rebel gigs. 40 years on, maybe, in a flight of fancy, we can all soon step back in time and finally enjoy that missing gig of June 28th?
Please login/register to post on the forum.

Re:June 28th....1974 9 years 11 months ago #9321

• RachelPAtoSH
Please be sure that Steve did not have any such conversation and would not have been involved in any such discussions. He toured with an experienced Tour Manager and other personnel who would have dealt with the whole issue. Nevertheless, a contract is a contract and there are many points venues and promoters have to adhere to. The promoter, like so many back in the day, according to those who were there, was getting his moment in the sun, discrediting Steve. It's what the music press wanted to believe back then, that's our understanding.
RACHEL

Re:June 28th....1974 9 years 11 months ago #9322

• GedKen
Pop paper people eh?

eek, I took it as a little piece of 'memorabilia' from a long time ago; quite sweet in a way; and I thought "well, you're talking about Cockney Rebel now" was a top retort (whether it was actually said or not).

I think the point of the piece was that sometimes a venue didn't meet the band's advance specifications, ergo the cancellation may be the promoter's responsibility not the band's (the piece did go on to emphasis that point).

But if it is a worry then please take it down Rachel. :blush:

Re:June 28th....1974 9 years 11 months ago #9369

• GedKen
Trawling through the British Library (and the information superhighway) has offered up some other interesting nuggets on that '74 Psychomodo tour.

Just for the record the Scarborough Penthouse date on the 12th of June was also cancelled (again far too small a venue for a band that big), all the other gigs (42?) went ahead. :cheer:

Re:June 28th....1974 9 years 11 months ago #9372

• leonacht
Dear all , dear GedKen :
Never look back and forget annoying hystory's . There is alway's to tell a story about well known people and even about ordinary people . Main thing is : SH & CR was and is a real exciting & hot thrilling live act with some world famous big hits and many intimistic songs . I don't care what people or press are suggesting / telling about him.....but his music & personnality is taking me / us on high sky clouds !
Have a nice sunday evening & and good workweek !
Leo for L&S

Re:June 28th....1974 9 years 11 months ago #9373

• GedKen
Always look back Leo, rejoice in those wonderful times, even the 'inconvenient' bits!.... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Remember how 'Make Me Smile' came about.... ;)

There have been struggles and adversity, which makes what we have today all the more remarkable.
  • Page: