Steve Harley

& Cockney Rebel

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Strangers come to Manchester again .

Strangers come to Manchester again . 9 years 10 months ago #9304

• Pandorah
I have been in a bit of a quandary for a while now ! Should I ? Could I ? But that incessant voice from with in ! will not give up on nag nag nagging away at me !
If not for those who where unable to make it to the Bridgwater Hall Manchester !
( I know Cheri in California is dying to hear all )
but for that inner child with in me , that will not be silenced !
Besides ! it's been requested I write something ! from those who couldn't be there ! even those who where ! Asked !

So ! To Manchester Bridgwater Hall to see Steve Harley and Cockney Rebel play with the Orchestra of the swan and chamber Choir.

Remaining a fan for 40 years ( which incidentally the man himself recognisably acknowledged on stage saturday night ) this over excited 13 year old ! going on 53 .( nearly 54. May has arrived ) excitedly prepared to travel to Manchester .

I wasn't sure at one point ! what was going to be more exciting ? staying in a big big grand hotel ? The very one that I'd pointed out several years ago to ms Morrison, I remember I said that I wanted to walk the marble floors of the Palace in Oxford street . Love that building ! Pointing at the Palace in oxford street .

On the Back with the Band tour , back in 2000-2001 ? We had walked out of the Palace theatre into the cold night air of Manchester , after an unforgettable show.
( oh dear the memories are flooding back ! )
Victoria BBs stunning voice ! Her contribution On Love compared to you ! Locked in the memory vaults forever . The inebriated person shouting out for Judy-teen ! When it had already been done ! Kees being told by the security guys of the theatre to put his camera away ! Meeting up with Harley fans from far and wide in the las ' O ' Gowrie the laughter and friendship . Unforgettable , friends never forgotten , some of which ! who are sadly no longer with us today . Simone and Sheila in particularly flood the memory .

As I stepped out onto the street that night , out of those doors of the Palace Theatre after a blinding show ! I stared in awe across the road and sighed ! Oh Wow I wanna stay there !
( I seem to recall Ms Morrison's response was!
" delusions of grandeur Deborah ! Delusions of grandeur ! " )

Well suffice to say ! the Palace hotel, no way came close ! ( as if it would !) to the feeling of excitement as finding my seat up on the circle of the Bridgwater Hall and to join the standing ovation as soon as Steve Harley walked on that stage , in that Hall in Manchester on Saturday 26th April 2014. Oh hear that crowd roar for more !

The Palace Hotel with all it's marble , glass , and history did not make this excited inner child skip for joy ! Oh no . Far from it !
Only the music of Steve Harley and his accomplishing Musicians stopped the world spinning ! on this magical evening that took us to another dimension. Out of this world .

I drove the 3 1/2 hour journey to Manchester . First encounter was with Mr Allot ! dear John ( loveliest chap you'd ever like to meet ) aka the Rebel , and Roxy his daughter in the garden of the Rain Bar just by the Cannel , where we exchanged some treasure !

I bought his 2 surplus Albert Hall tickets off him that Roxy had ordered on line by mistake ! She over enthusiastically collected up 4 tickets instead of 2 in the shopping basket on the Albert hall ticket line when they went on sale ! Although ! Not sure I want to be down on the ground though !

Sat in the sun , had a drink ! Or two ! We then trundled over the road to the peviril of the peak ( little old boozer ! next to the venue covered in glazed covered kisses ! Oh no that was Glazed covered Victorian tiles ) I remember it well ! been there before you see ! Probably 10 years ago now !
once again we meet up with the Manchester and surrounding area . The boys and the girls! Children of the revolution ! And then some ! the Scottish descent . lovely to see Mark and Ann , and Hazel , oh then Liverpool arrived with trace Lisa and MrJohnston ( mike ) Somerset had come up ! arrived somewhere in town ! ms ( call the midwife ) Humphrey's ( Jo ) with her cousins . I'd heard Newcastle / New South Wales had landed ! Australia that is ! but yet to seek Judy and Glynis out ! ( more about those lovely ladies later )
The wales's were out ! Mr PJH ( peter ) was snapping away ! photo shoots . Mr Griffin ( Stewart ) was cutting it fine ! Mr Blake ( Graeme ) informs me he was walking ! Wondered Where our the Dutch friends were ? ? Ruud and Bea where somewhere ! But our phones won't connect ! I did try . Honest .

Think I'll have lines on my face , when I get out of this place ! So I guess I'll be ever so careful .

Time for a sharp exit . Let's get out of here ! ( pub ) so !
Quick dash back the the Palace ! Change ( Cinderella will go to the ball ) blah blah blah then yay !

Back out to the Bridgwater, full of wonder and amazement , and lovely people .The Bridge Water Hall was heaving ! Packed to the rafters. Always a pleasure to meet and greet Mr Carter ( Phil ) love that guy .

Time to climb the stairs ! Take a seat . From the opening lines of Hideaway right the way through the whole of the Human Menagerie & Psychomdo albums along with a couple of gems ( brilliant surprises ) sprinkled in along the way , including a thunderous eruption in the Bridgwater Hall's auditorium with that No1 top 20 Hit . Manchester positively erupted a conciseness explosion .

They took me back , I was transcended into another world, listening and watching to every note, every chop and change ! The Melodies, the harmonies . Andrew Powell's fantastic conducting . how he bought each and every player on that stage together during Sebastian and death trip was just amazing , astonishing .
Watching him steady and hold, keeping a tight Rein on the string section, gently bringing in the wind section, calmly Sweeping control over the whole orchestra then demanding assent , cueing ! pointing ! Bringing in , pulling out , lifting the voices of the choir way up & over, high above . at times himself elevated ! airborne in fact ! Like a spectacular firework display exploding over your head , beautiful , magical and wonderful. Watch and cheer the man performing ! Fantastic. as the colours softly fade , slowly fall . The decent ! back on the ground ! And you want more instantly . Instantly want more ! Oh the greedy glutinous sin runs through every vain .
During Sebastian the lighting was so captivating ! Casting a huge shadow of Mr Harley's familiar Form across and behind the Orchestra and choir. His shadow Silhouetted Against the back drop , with such reflected gestures .
" one could fall hopelessly in love. For a life time " ( to quote a line )

James Was sat at a fine grand piano For most part , and took the lime light on several occasions , I noticed !
Mr Anderson, dear Lincoln . bass player extraordinaire was absent due to an unfortunate illness ( missed him ) so hope he recovers soon from what ever prevails . ( we are all thinking of you )
Regardless to Lincoln's absents ! we were not short changed! Oh no .

Now I'd never seen Billy Dyer play with Steve Harley before ! ( because I was busy having babies in the 80's early 90's ! So missed them fab years )
Unless he was out during poetic justice years ? Then it was quite possible ! Seem to recall John Meany on key boards and Rick Driscoll ! Or was it Alan Darby ?

Anyway ! Probably as good as anytime to mention Our Friend Mark ( Mr Trowsdale ) God bless him , he was not far from our thoughts . He should of been there ! But I guess ( have an inner belief ) he probably actually had the best seat in the house though ! ( oh no that was me ) I suspect / trust he was there in spirit ! Smiling! Grinning like a Cheshire cat! Chelsea won at the week end also ! So I guess there must have been some smiles beaming down from heaven . Was glad to see Marks brother Alan made it .He came up and bought along a friend , Marks seat was not left empty .
This is relevant ! Random ! But

Whilst driving up to Birmingham's symphony Hall. ( year before last ) Mark took me back in time ! we talked over old times I actually never spied ! ( As I said ! busy having babies )

Topic in car was the Albert Halls Bolton ! May 2nd 1991 . Mark recalled what a ( his words ) cracking gig it was . He told me Billy Dyer played bass guitar! Paul Francis was on the drums , Robbie Gladwell on various electric guitar's , Ian Nice on keyboards , Nick Pynn on the violin. Listening ! the sounds that stood out for me in particular on this journey back in time was the base on the Alibi ! ( yes it was a live recording ! Don't ask i don't know ) I thought I was listening to Level 42 when It pricked my ears ! Mark King of level 42's Funky Jamming slant came to mind and I loved Billy Dyers bass lines straight away ! Billy Dyer stood out ! And on Saturday graced the stage as he stood in for Lincoln Anderson . And a fine job was done ! I must say . I heard he was a tad nervous ! From the trio who actually got to talk to him after the show ! Jo , Glynis and Judy ! So that's where you disappeared to !

Anyway ! Well done that man . He did us proud as did Mr Steve Norman . How brilliant is he ? I was watching him , busy busy busy , so versatile , and so energetic! He reminds me of one of them one man bands ! He's a crowed on his own ! Strap a string to his foot and he'd of helped Adam out with the big bass drum !I'm sure . If he wasn't devouring that saxophone deliciously , he'd have something in his hand , be it a hammer for the tubular bells , ( yes we were treated to Black or white ) or shakers and tambourines , running his finger across the those tube like chime things that dangled amongst the various array of percussion instruments that distract ! Snatch your attention , when detected amongst all the delightful ensembles !

I've got to say, one of the best moments for me ( apart from watching death trip orchestrated by Mr Powell's fantastic energy and charm ) was when Mr Harley began to talk of a particular Song ! As soon as he Mentioned the B word ! My Christmas Eve mode kicked out and Christmas morning mode kicked in ! B side ! My heart skip skipped a beat. But he teased he couldn't quite remember what was it's A side ? I'm calling out my teenage revolution ! JUDY TEEN .JUDY TEEN So excited to hear him shout out those numbers ! 1 2 3 - 4 ! Then straight into the opening lines of Spaced Out ! Absolutely brilliant . Loved it .

Then as if that wasn't enough of a surprise ! After he had followed up spaced out with the remembered A side ! Judy Teen .
He then really spoilt us with yet another surprise ! Oh my heart was shaking ! Oh that little cheat ! And even teased ! Fooled around by forgetting it's status ! He was scratching his head trying to recall weather the it was a B or an A side ! As if he'd forget that ?

I was thinking ! IT WAS AN A side Mr Harley ! A . A . A . NOT a B Side .How could we forget ?
I remembered I pre ordered it back in 75 before it's actual release date . still have my original copy ( think bed in the corner was the B side to it ! )
Oh and still my heart was shaking !

It WAS A BIG BIG DEAL .

With Just the 1 surviving band member Stewart Elliot ( after that devastating Split in 74 ) just the 2 of them ! Mr H & Mr Elliot went back into the studio and recorded BIG BIG DEAL . I remember the relief that we rebel fans had . ( well I did ) something to cling onto! Hope ! All was not lost ! between the past and the future . Not all was forsaken . That single I pre ordered before it's release . Still sits with some of my prized procession . ( although I have a sneaky suspicion! It's one of those left on the windowsill in my bedroom back in that heat wave in 76 and ended up a bit warped ! )

Can't play it ! Good job it was included as a bonus a track when The original vinyls were put to CDs . Think it's on best years ?
I know ! I'm diverting from the show !

Back in the Bridgwater . So those two particular moments hearing Spaced out and Big Big Deal meant the world to me . Got to be the icing on the cake for me personally .( well maybe the fresh cream and strawberry filling )

during the interval I did the usual loo dash only to encounter the two ever excitable girls Ms Keeling ( Gill) and Ms Morton ( Chrissy ) mad as a box of frogs the pair of them ! ( and some think I'm crazy ? ) they were bouncing off the wall ! Like you do at a Harley gig . And they asked where I was sitting ? So I've said ' best seat in the house ! ' Well nearly ? ( Peter JH got my seat but I was only one row back centre on the circle ) They said ' oh we're on the side by the wall down stairs ! Can't get out easily and we want to be closer ! Want to dance ' .

Sorry ! am I getting boring ?

This is relevant ! Listen ! Read on !
Cheri . dear girl / friend / fan , from Montana / California had bought 2 tickets 3 row's back from the stage C 12 & C13 way back last year when they were first released , but unfortunately could not use them ! So she had asked me to try and pass her tickets on as she couldn't contact the box office for a refund .as regrettably was unable to make it over again to England this time. what with all the costs of her wedding and new home having to be furnished coupled with Scott's unexpected dismount off his skis ! back in January , rendering him house bound for months unable to walk ( glad he's recovering well ) poor Scott ! Poor Cheri , having an incapacitated husband so soon after moving into a new home !

any way ! Yes yes moving on ! Moving on ! I'd managed to get hold of the box office at the Bridgwater hall and tell them the predicament ! Asked them if it were possible if I could collect them? As Cheri had asked me to. hopefully maybe ? to pass on , but to certainly be able to send over to her . Maybe to put in her memory keepsake box . To have and to hold .
These things are precious You know .

So I was now on a mission at such short notice ! This the Friday before the actual concert ! So yes one day ! Not even that ! An evening before to find two bottoms at such short notice to sit on them seats , she really didn't want them left empty .so I thought I'd drop a line or two , to the usual suspects ! in and around the surrounding area of Manchester, to see if they had any family or friends ? Neighbours? A stranger in the street ! to drag off into the Bridgwater !

Mr Hamlin ( Craig ) was happy to assist and messaged friends of his late friday night and said he'd let he'd me know in the morning, weather he'd had any joy ! None of the others read or got back to me ! Apart from Graham ( Mr Blake ) who informed me in the pub ! " oh I did see something ! But said " tend to speed read Debs ! "
oh ! So you wasn't interested then ! Huh !

I collected Cheri and Scott's tickets and slotted them in my bag and took my seat with a view . Thinking maybe during the second half I may choose to go down stairs myself and be in amongst the crowd !
But on hearing Gill and Chrissy's disappointment in the loos about their seats, I said ' I've actually got 2 spare tickets in my bag ! 3 rows back from the front '
" Would you like to use them ? " I'm sure Cheri wouldn't mind , but ! I must have them back at the end of the evening as I'm going to post them over to her . Well they were full of joy to except them and said they would return them later ! After the show .
Job done !

I then encountered Vicky and her young man ! ( out side the front doors ! Not in the loos ) She was from the Channel Islands , told me it was her birthday and she was born in 1971 ! So I'm saying to her ! " so when did you start to follow Mr Harley ? Not in a pram as a baba surely ! No she said , my mum used to play his Albums all the time as I was growing up ! She'd recently seen him at some festival ! Last year . Because I was chatting I didn't get to see or buy the program ! Which I was gutted about ! But then there's always the Albert Hall .

Back up in the circle I take my seat , looking around I see familiar faces , glance across to see Roxy with the so excited Mimi , Mr Allott 's ( john ) daughter and granddaughter . Deana's long blonde hair can clearly be seen along the front row in front of the stage and I can see Roz. But I'm just dying for the second half to begin . Mr Blake ( Graeme ) shouts Deborah across from the next block of the circle and waves ! Grinning ! Mr Griffin ( Stewart ) waves also ! Margret ! ( Mags to me ) is in another world !
Speed read indeed ! Mr Blake !

As they take there place on stage I wonder ! How is it never the same twice ? as soon as I glance across at Robbie I realise it's not just body's that can be moved ! It's the whole musical body ! The arrangements . Mr Gladwell was over on Steve's right hand side with Barry , probably because the huge grand piano James was sat at , filled Robbie's space . It mattered not !

As they glided and swept into sweet dreams the pulse rates Quickened , Mr Norman near shook that tambourine to death, storming into psychomodo . Soon all hands were above heads clapping and cheering them on. James had me watching intensely as he engaged in the mayhem of that song ! Mr soft was so rocky. how any one could fail to not want to jump up and dance to that is beyond me ! I expect though , every one actually Does Want to ! The truth be known . Loved the deep voices rising up and out from the back of the stage . the male section of the choir was so strong carried the song way up , but Barry always manages to lift that little higher , way up to them fluffy white clouds .

Singular band ! James is there again ! Pulls the attention his way , but hang on ! Mr Houghton and Mr Norman seem to be having a party of their own. then a dead stop , as it finishes . A brief silence ! Not for long though eh !
Thunderous applause follows.

Then the strings sweep and swish. Swooping in and out . hold ! as the oboes, flutes & clarinets ! wind sections, play tag with each other running around chasing each other ! and the shakers and swishy stalkers sweep in and follow ( their never far away ! ) all moulding together! But are held ! as if on tight rains by the wondrous Andrew Powell. he kept them all steady , whilst waiting for Mr H's clear crisp acoustic strumming to bring in Ritz. Hold it ! Hold it ! those strings are hanging on tight ! I sink back into my seat to savour the the strumming as it kicks in! Timeless and classic ! Loud and clear that unmistakable voice engulfs the Hall.
Mr Steve Harley sings his poetry
strumming his acoustic

Hark to roualts white insanity.
Clowns in drag concealing vanity ( the ting of a bell sounds ! Eye switch to Steve Norman )
This is hardly paradise
We're still in search of petty scorn.

Images so dead, in mourning
Clap and cheer the man performing
This is hardly paradise.
We're still in search of petty scorn ( hear his voice lift and hold choir voices rise ,come in,building)

Couch my disease in chintz-covered kisses ( base line steps out of the dark , deep and dark )
Glazed calico cloth, my costume this is
Come to Pablo fanque's in indigo
We'll show you pastel shades of rhyme. ( violin sings )

It's okay to laugh in harmony
See the white-faced Augusts' army.
Come to pablo's-fanque's in indigo
We'll show you pastel shades of rhyme. ( violin glides in singing! base clearly pacing close by )

Take a letter ophelia, write
"sorry desdemona." bright
Peeking through the nimbus covers
We see the twisted tale of man.
( Brass section rear's it head !violins wrap the air while piccolo / flute flys by )

Catch us in the cornfield hiding
Me, merice' moonbeams gliding ( choir )
Peeking through the nimbus covers
We see the twisted tale of man. ( flute / piccolo pokes it head up ) ( drums thunder in )

Careless, caress, curt up beside me.
Visit, sleep and smile and drown me
March together, slay like Nero
Now we have something you understand ( Clarinet ? Oboe ? ) ( violin flits in and tip toes around for attention )

Oh! the clown, his stare is eyeless
Shall he make you laugh or cry.yes
March together, slay like Nero
Now we have something you understand.

( Clarinet ! Oboe calls out ! the violin swoops in a grabs attention, surrounds , engulfs , then just takes off in flight ! Strings sweep and shroud )

It is time to hide my body
Shall we start to speak of holly
I don't wanna be that superhero

'Slowly coming down, decent . Sweeping and swirling all coming together ! the brass , wind section all the instruments , just immense .

Heard they're moving pisces into june
Shall we put together a platoon
I don't wanna be that superhero
'til you have something we understand ! Accent. the rise . such vocal control.

Decent ! Accent ! Decent ! The rise the fall ! Distracted , disjointed ! Confusion Falling apart ! As if Left out in a Wilderness ! abandonment. Those Flutes and piccolos flitting around darting about ! blasting of the brass ! Deep trombones and trumpets hail. But in the end all falls together.

The beauty of Harley's song s ! They just have to be heard
Be it solitary! Quite alone, or in this environment ! Live and with total awareness . Just awesome .
The female sector of the choir was so beautifully delivered , Sebastian was amazing , Loretta's tale earlier on in the show, with it's sweet piano, and the strings swooning in and out the Violins soaring , circling overhead. sweet melody picked out on a cello mandolin ? guided us to the perfect end close , carried lifted , elevated then held with perfection, suspended in a body of choral rhapsody . long enough to stop a heart beat .

crazy raver's startling thunderous entrance kick in, was enough to kick start the near heart stopping performance of Loretta's tale . Breath again . Bright lights and and such an energy filled that stage , delighted all who sat and stared . ( did I mention the lights ? ) dazzling . Barry s Fiddling ( exceptionally masterful techniques ) teased out Mr Norman's spectacular highlighting of that crazy raver on sax bringing the smiles and huge cheers at its dead stop .

Cavaliers ! What can one say ? Outstanding body of work . A consciousness explosion ! I could listen to those orchestral manoeuvres for all eternity. And that of Sebastian and death trip . For a life time . harmonies ! the saxophone and harmonica interaction surrounded by strings, elevated! swept higher as if up to the gods, by that magnificent choral choir .

Black or white was included also ( as at the symphony Hall ) and beautifully executed by the Body of musicians on stage .
Mr Harley's chat at times , consisted of his ever perceptive and humorous observations , the women who come with out their partners / husbands / other half's ! in pairs ! Those who don't ! ( he seems to think some of the other half's can't stand him ) this could be true ? But not in every case . The man recognised that indeed 40 years of our lives had been entwined along the way . those fans that have stayed !
I think maybe ? No ! I know ! It's not an option really ! Not to continue . the music of the mans in our blood . it's a life long thing.
The pension song was duly taken out of the box as he laughingly turned and invited the members of the orchestra and choir to maybe join in ! Suggested they may well know this pop song ! Needless to say the whole place was up on their feet yet again ! ( or were we already up ? ) clapping and cheering the man performing as all respective satisfied audiences would ! standing ovations littered the show.
Oh hear that crowd roar for more .

The whole show was full of elements of surprise ! Always ! Never the same twice . Birmingham symphony Hall was stupendous . Full of the wonder and excitement Mr Harley provides constantly. . Manchester was taken to another level . Brilliant .never disappoints . Never disappoints .

The only disappoints I had! But by no means out weighed the plus side.
in no particular order are
The Palace Hotel wasn't as glorious as imagined !
We ( the followers of passion ) didn't all get together after the show for the usual Indian .
I missed Ruud and Bea from holland and the misunderstanding that followed. ( We've sorted that though )
I failed to see the souvenir programmes on sale !
Cheri and Scott couldn't make it this time .
The other half ? Who really is not even worth mentioning ! Fell asleep during crazy raver !!!!!! And had to be nudged conscious ! Late nights Early mornings, exhaustion! too much beer ( more like ) is no excuse ! Unforgivable !
Oh ! and the girls who were loaned Cheri's & Scott's tickets! mislaid them !!!! What are you like ?

On the plus side it was lovely to share some time together at breakfast the following morning in the Hotel with Judy & Glynis . Judy who came all the way from Australia to see Steve Harley .

Thank you so much Steve Harley , and all members of the band and crew . the Orchestra of the swan and the chamber choir .

Legends Each and every one of you .
Please login/register to post on the forum.

Re: Strangers come to Manchester again . 9 years 10 months ago #9306

• therebel
wow what else can I say thought I was gonna have to book a day off work so I could read all your musings . but well worth the read such a great report of the day the weekend and the enjoyment you had see you soon
Was in a frenzy from the midnight air when I saw the light
I realized only children can live upon a timeless flight

Re:Strangers come to Manchester again . 9 years 10 months ago #9307

• Becky
Hi Pandorah,

Thanks so much for taking the time to write this. I wish I had your memory and SH/CR memories.

All good things,

Becky x

Re:Strangers come to Manchester again . 9 years 10 months ago #9308

• mick_mckenzie
Great review.

I like a write-up that goes beyond the factual/technical stuff, and involves the personal element as well. Even if I don't know the personnel involved it seems to makes it more meaningful, and is a nice reminder of what a fantastic all-round experience SH/CR gigs are.

Roll on Brum.

Mick

Re:Strangers come to Manchester again . 9 years 10 months ago #9309

• joanna
Hey Debs ................ your star xx jo :side:
Smile x

Re:Strangers come to Manchester again . 9 years 10 months ago #9310

• Stella Day
  • Reassuringly expensive.
Debs. Too much. I'll have to print it off and read it in instalments!! :laugh:
If you can't say something nice don't say nothing at all.
  • Page: