Steve Harley

& Cockney Rebel

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Manchester..The Morning After The Gig...

Re:Manchester..The Morning After The Gig... 9 years 11 months ago #9223

• Becky
Hi,

I wish I could sit down and write, at length, about Saturday's concert, but travelling and work prevents it. So this is just to say thank you to SH/CR, the orchestra, choir and everyone (including ALL Harley fans) involved in a concert that will remain with me forever.

The show, from beginning to end was fantastic (oh well, I guess I can rabbit on for a few more lines). The lighting - blood reds and spirals of green; Steve's shadow rising up like a giant puppeteer during Sebastian, mesmerising. And Steve's voice: I think there's a hoarse larynx hidden away in some dusty attic; 'only kidding', as Steve kept saying, followed by that lovely laugh, as he talked about old girlfriends, his dad's 'telephone voice' and stories of Cockney Rebel - true and not so true.

Highlights? Every last morsel. My eyes filled, unexpectedly, during the opening lines to Black and White. I don't know why. I guess it's because Harley songs get better the more times you hear them. I like Black and White, but its suddenly come from behind to be a firm favourite.

And the love and respect for Steve Harley...'special' - very special.

All good things,

Becky x
Please login/register to post on the forum.

Re:Manchester..The Morning After The Gig... 9 years 11 months ago #9224

• mick_mckenzie
Black or White has always been a favourite of mine, so atmospheric and full of sound. However, I never thought I'd hear it live with the full orchestra treatment but that's twice now, and it will be three times by June. :)

Mick

Re:Manchester..The Morning After The Gig... 9 years 11 months ago #9226

• Becky
Hi,

Black OR White - I knew that ;)

Yes, I keep hearing that incredible opening. I must find the lyrics. Hope Steve sings it at the RAH.

Becky x

Re:Manchester..The Morning After The Gig... 9 years 11 months ago #9228

• HIGGI
Brilliant gig at Manchester thanks to all the band - Privileged to have seen SH many times, but first with the orchestra, loved it.
I took my older brother with me, he's never seen SH before and he loved it and is looking forward to the next gig.
Steve just gets better every time he holds a special place in my music life- the first gig i ever went to was 1975 at Manchester Free Trade Hall - great memory's.

Like the other comment's about BLACK OR WHITE - great track from a truelly brilliant album TIMELESS FLIGHT (listened to Vinyl version last night), one of Steve's best!

Cheers,John

Re:Manchester..The Morning After The Gig... 9 years 11 months ago #9246

• stewart g
Higgi,we walked past The Free Trade Hall on Saturday on the way to The Bridgewater Hall.The building still has a great feel and look to it and whilst passing it I was sure I could hear Ravel's Bolero sweeping down the road. :) And now we have the Lowry in October, a brilliant venue for the 3 man show.What a night we had with Cregan on guitar in 2002! and it's something very tasty to look forward to in the Autumn.The Bridgewater Hall and The Lowry in the same year! Perfect! ;)

Re:Manchester..The Morning After The Gig... 9 years 11 months ago #9272

• janeydoll
Dear Cheri

As regards to the "drunk" Scotsman I know Him Personally
and as His friend I can assure You He meant no harm or distress to Steve when He jumped up on stage,it was as You say
over enthusiasm brought on through the drink!! No excuse He says and is deeply sorry and ashamed of Himself for causing any grief to Steve.You also mentioned He is a huge Fan of Steve`s,
and He has been so since the early 70`s.He`s followed Him all over
the Years at different Venues up and down the Country since He was a Teenager,unfortunately He ain`t supposed to Drink at all
but when the Cat was away the Mouse thought He could Play,He also let Himself down so badly too as it was a number of Years
He was managing to Battle His demons.Till the Night in Manchester.He`s made an arse of Himself a few times at gigs through the booze and has even stopped Himself from going to
Steve`s gig`s on occasions because He wouldn`t trust Himself
He was at the Birmingham gig and behaved well and was so
Happy at all that went on that Night when the Manchester Gig
was announced He was so excited about it He jumped at the chance to see His "Hero" again.Believe Me Cheri,He is so ashamed by His behaviour and He`s so ashamed to think that Steve must think that He`s "whatever Steve might happen to think He is" It`s the last thing ever He would want and please if You can let Steve know He is so very,very sorry,extremely embarrest
and honestly meant no harm whatsoever.He is a huge fan of Steve`s and it`s killing Him in the Head just now because of the Weekend`s events,He asked Me too,to say His sorry`s to any of the other People who happened to be around Him on the Night.He knows they too must have been big fans and having to sit next or near to a Drunken twat couldn`t have been easy or pleasant and for that He is truly sorry.