Steve Harley

& Cockney Rebel

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: The Night Before The Gig.....

The Night Before The Gig..... 9 years 11 months ago #9183

• stewart g
Just what is it with music? When it's special it get's you right there and if it's really good it touches people,makes them feel great and maybe even inspire them? Well that's what the music of Steve Harley and Cockney Rebel has done to me and I'm sure many others who read this board.It was Rod Stewart in his recent autobiography who said " A man needs a hobby !",well Steve Harley and Cockney Rebel has been a great hobby to me.This must be around my 20th show in Manchester watching my band and why is it that every night before a show I get butterflies and " Wish it was tonight!!" and often I think " Calm down man,get a grip is this normal for someone 50 plus??" and then i Think "Sod it whats wrong with looking forward to something you love??"
And indeed we did love those first two albums played on pretty poor stereo systems and in my case listening in the living room on the floor with a giant set of headphones on whilst the rest of the family watched telly!! I was measmurised with Sebastian and Death Trip and loved the intro on Hideaway and Crazy Raver sent me into another world!! and Whilst the Pop papers were printing Rebel insane on Sweet Dreams, I loved the punk attitude of Sling it and The Psychomodo,the music hall madness of Mr Soft and the romance of Bed In The Corner.And that refrain on Tumbling Down has always done it for me! And here we are all these years later a Manchester boy watching his Cockney Rebel and playing those two wonderful albums in all their pomp and glory in the best venue in town.
You dont wish luck to 50 plus brilliant musicians who are playing a show because they dont need it they are too good for that..but I'd like to say to all on that stage thanks for being there on Saturday night and have a ball and we are with you all the way!! and to Mr H thanks for all the great gigs over the years and for bringing us this show. ;) Anytime!! :)
Please login/register to post on the forum.

Re: The Night Before The Gig..... 9 years 11 months ago #9184

• therebel
very well said stewart I know what you mean been huming away to myself all day never listen to anyone im gonna see for a couple of days before a gig . but with Harley its hard not to go around with them tunes of 4o years playing in the back of my mind then finding yourself singing away with people looking at you and saying your happy today yep but not as happy as im gonna be Saturday night . had three phone calls already since I got home 2 daughters and granddaughter seems its not only us old ones that get excited stu . but tomorrow will be a bit special for me three generations of Harley fans now that excites me see you there have a good one
Was in a frenzy from the midnight air when I saw the light
I realized only children can live upon a timeless flight

Re:The Night Before The Gig..... 9 years 11 months ago #9185

• Philca
You've got the way with the words Stewart, from the heart, every time.
See you back on home ground tomorrow evening, should be fun.

Re:The Night Before The Gig..... 9 years 11 months ago #9189

• kevlad
hear hear. In a nutshell Stu!