& Cockney Rebel

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: I Can Be Anyone

I Can Be Anyone 10 years 3 months ago #8875

• ajsmith
Another gem of the 1980s unearthed:

Please login/register to post on the forum.

Re:I Can Be Anyone 10 years 3 months ago #8876

• stewart g
Thanks aj.great track.i first saw this track played live at manchester uni in dec 1981.the set list included race game and young hearts and the a side of this fine track. :)

Re:I Can Be Anyone 10 years 3 months ago #8877

• Stella Day
  • Reassuringly expensive.
Maybe it sounded better live? I hate those ghastly electronic sounds.
If you can't say something nice don't say nothing at all.

Re:I Can Be Anyone 10 years 3 months ago #8878

• stewart g
It's along time ago Stella,but I think the live version was a little rockier than the recorded version.Must admit I used to love Harley's B sides ....and the 80's had some great ones..Such Is Life,Face To Face,Warm My Cold Heart etc! ;)

Re:I Can Be Anyone 10 years 3 months ago #8879

• stewart g
and I still love em! :P Those were the days..you bought the single and the B side was more often that not a little gem. ;) Cockney Rebel's stablemates Pilot had some great B sides from memory and the B side to Magic called Just Let Me Be was even better than the A side!

Re:I Can Be Anyone 10 years 3 months ago #8880

• ajsmith
That's interesting Stewart, I would have guessed the song would have been a bit more rockier in a live environment. Don't get me wrong as I do thoroughly enjoy all of Steve Harley's output, but these 'lost' singles throughout the 1980s are the most forgotten of all Steve's work. They are crying out to be re-discovered again. I've certainly enjoyed tracking down the original vinyls to get hold of the b-sides - together they'd make a good compilation I think. Perhaps I'm bias as I've always loved the 80s sound, but it seems singles like I Can't Even Touch You, Ballerina, Irresistible etc are top-notch songs from that decade. The odds were against them as Steve was out-of-fashion and probably somewhat forgotten after his rise to fame in the 1970s, but he undoubtedly knew how to write some great, melodic material that appealed to the contemporary sound of the decadef. Mind you the songs all have the typical Steve Harley blueprints on them underneath the surface of the production etc.
  • Page: