& Cockney Rebel

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Wikipedia

Re:Wikipedia 9 years 6 months ago #9707

• ajsmith
Hobo with a Grin article now expanded:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hobo_with_a_Grin
Please login/register to post on the forum.

Re:Wikipedia 9 years 6 months ago #9708

• GedKen
Blimey aj, the album takes a bit of a kicking from its creator in some of those articles!... though the Marc Bolan references will be of interest to his fans no doubt.

I really like Hobo; a track such as 'Hot Youth' is as relevant today as it was way back then.

I'm not sure Steve was so well served in America. I came across an American one page advert for Prima Donna and the clunky headline blurb ran something along the lines of

'Love's a Prima Donna and so were the American Public, but now they are beginning to listen to Steve Harley'

Hmmm, doesn't exactly pique one's interest does it! :S

Re:Wikipedia 9 years 6 months ago #9713

• cheri
I still cannot wrap my mind around the fact that Steve never took off in the United States. It's our terrible loss. But, here's one American who thinks he's absolutely amazing, and everyone I've brought to his concerts thinks so, too. I won't go on and on about it as I'm still reeling from the shock of Lincoln's death. Such a tragedy. :(

Cheri

Re:Wikipedia 9 years 6 months ago #9737

• ajsmith
I agree GedKen that Hobo is a good album. I'll admit that for me it is far from my favourite Steve Harley album, but I think Steve has always maintained a high standard of recording output. Roll the Dice is very catchy, Living in a Hapsody, Riding the Waves and Someone's Coming are strong, emotive tracks. A couple of favourites are also Amerika the Brave and Faith, Hope and Charity as they have a curious colouring.

I know there were plenty of artists from the 1970s that were big in Europe and the UK, but not in America. Perhaps it was very much down to marketing? Slade, for example, suffered from a lack of interest in the States, although they did eventually crack the market in the mid-1980s.

Anyway a friend of mine happened to look at Steve's own biography page on Wikipedia a few nights ago, and found it somewhat jumbled and brief. This got me thinking it was time to clean up this fundamental page. A couple of days later I managed to get around to expanding and sorting it out. There is undoubtedly a lot more to be said, but the biography is much more comprehensive now. (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Harley)

Re:Wikipedia 9 years 4 months ago #9952

• ajsmith
A few recent additions over the last couple of months:

When I'm with You - there's not a huge amount of information for this lost gem. Still a page now completed for this one: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/When_I%27m_with_Yo...Steve_Harley_song%29

A page on Hideaway also done - this was released as a single in Denmark during 1974: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hideaway_%28Cockney_Rebel_song%29

And finally Timeless Flight page has been expanded:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeless_Flight

Re:Wikipedia 9 years 2 months ago #10098

• ajsmith
In light of the recent media attention on Make Me Smile I thought I'd finally tackle 'the big one', and have expanded the Wiki page on Make Me Smile (Come Up and See Me). There is plenty more that could be said, but it has much more background info now than it did before.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Make_Me_Smile_%28Come_Up_and_See_Me%29