Steve Harley

& Cockney Rebel

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: ELECTRIC WARRIOR

Re:ELECTRIC WARRIOR 11 years 11 months ago #4787

• Maelitta
I have just finished this bio, actually :

It's not the best bio I ever red but it had the immense advantage to my eyes ... of being translated.
The funny thing is that the author seems to have a great admiration for Marc Bolan but, in the same time, explains that the only thing he wanted in life was "being a pop star" and that he did everything to reach his :laugh:

Strange and funny fellow he seemed to be :laugh:
The topic has been locked.

Re:ELECTRIC WARRIOR 11 years 11 months ago #4794

• AlizarinStag
  • Mr. Jinx
Velvet Goldmine came at just the right time in my life. I love all the songs on the soundtrack and the movie never ceases to make me laugh, get sentimental and bring back that time for me. I wish however that, and no offense to him, that Jonathan Rhys Meyers hadn't sang Steve's songs. He just..didn't do them justice. I kind of wish they'd just gotten either Craig Wedren and Thom Yorke to do all the songs. Craig and Thom sound more a like, Jonathan sort of just sticks out. Thom did such a great job with Ladytron, I'd love to see what he would have done with Sebastian.

But yeah, musically and stylistically, the movie struck a huge chord for me.

It's easier these days to get most band's music now in the states, if only because of sites like amazon and ebay. Thanks internet! (Hell Target.com sells Cockney Rebel albums!) But that's mainly online. Bowie you can get most music places (though sadly music stores are closing left and right...) Marc and SHCR to a far lesser extent.

I own 4 full SHCR albums on vinyl, 3 singles, two Bowie vinyls and zero Marc's. I was hoping to shop around for some when I was in England last, but never got around to finding a place that might have anything! Where do you people usually by vinyl? We have thrift shops and flea markets. My personaly goal right now is to just find a T.Rex t-shirt in my size to be the companion to my fine CR tshirts. All the ebay ones are too huge. Might have to make my own.

Most of the Marc related fan action I'm involved in is over on "private" journal sharing on livejournal.com (there are a couple public communities there) and on tumblr, which while it is mainly image related, it's an awful lot of fun and interesting none the less:

diamond-star-halo.tumblr.com/ is the premiere Marc Bolan tumblr account

and jollydolly.tumblr.com/ usually has some really good stuff too, as well as other related/period artists.

I'd list mine, but I'm mainly Steve stuff, and just the occasional Marc stuff.

Did I say I could ramble or what? :blush:
We've all been through bad times, but you gotta pass on the good stuff to others, not the bad. "If nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do." -Angel

Re:ELECTRIC WARRIOR 11 years 11 months ago #4800

• crazy horse
ALI ,i think jonathon myers did a pretty good job as far as the film is concerned,nothing is ever gonna beat the originals ,but within the confines of the film it was perfect ,and with his versions it kept the whole project self contained,.Our record stores are also dropping in numbers too, due to the increased number of online dealers ,the net traders dont have the overheads like those on the high street, things like rent,electric ,taxes,ETC.ETC but it seems a lot of the older established shops have managed to survive due to their loyal customers and turning to the internet themselves to make up for any lost revenue .we also have "charity shops " on almost every high street in every town ,but these although they are fun do tend to be a bit of a hit and miss afair ,.I take it that on your visits to dear old blighty (ie the UK) time is at a premium so going from town to town lookin for music would be a no no ,,there is one place you can go where they will have everything your heart desires ,if your stopping off in london at any time i would suggest you try THE VINYL EXCHANGE (i forget the adress right now )they carry a HUGE amount of stock ,buying online is ok but you cant beat diggin through a crate of old vinyl ,never knowing what your gonna find, CHECK EM OUT DUDE!! :)

Re:ELECTRIC WARRIOR 11 years 11 months ago #4827

• crazy horse
Maelitta wrote:
I have just finished this bio, actually :

It's not the best bio I ever red but it had the immense advantage to my eyes ... of being translated.
The funny thing is that the author seems to have a great admiration for Marc Bolan but, in the same time, explains that the only thing he wanted in life was "being a pop star" and that he did everything to reach his :laugh:

Strange and funny fellow he seemed to be :laugh:
.............have you read the mark paytress bio 20TH CENTURY BOY THE MARC BOLAN STORY ? ,its just about the best one seeing as we will never get an autobio ,the author does tend to go on a bit for my liking but the reason i think its the best is because of the first class job the guy did researhing the subject ,its a must!!!! for any fan and the detail on the early part of his life is second to none (in my humble opinion)

Re:ELECTRIC WARRIOR 11 years 11 months ago #4830

• Maelitta
I wish I could, Crazy Horse, but, to be honnest with you, reading a full book in english is a bit of a hastle to me :blush:
But I note ; if ever I see it's one day translated, I'll get it (on) :)

Re:ELECTRIC WARRIOR 11 years 11 months ago #4832

• crazy horse
MAELITTA ,wow i never thought of that ,it must be a real pain ,and it is quite a heavy book to read even if your english ,do a lot of books get translated ? ,if you like i can check the name of the publishers and we could see if they know , ,and i know the author MARK PAYTRESS can be contacted through RECORD COLLECTOR MAGAZINE(you could drop him an email and ask) ,as he does a lot of work for them,i know it is a very well selling book ,so i would imagine it could possibly translated