Steve Harley

& Cockney Rebel

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Rod Stewart , A Friend For Life

Rod Stewart , A Friend For Life 8 years 6 months ago #10606

• rebelfreak1
  • jimbo
WOW! that was an excellent cover of FFL by Rod.great words by him also re Steve.asked which songwriters he admired most he replied oh Steve Harley of course one of Britains finest lyricists and Tom Waits.Of all the songwriters he has come across in a 45 year career that is high praise indeed.Well done Mr Stewart,for once I will forgive you for supporting Celtic!!!
'i fought a tiger just for the glory,the bloody battle was fierce and was gory,was like a scene from a kipling story,she sucked my blood like shes eating tandoori....'
Please login/register to post on the forum.

Rod Stewart , A Friend For Life 8 years 6 months ago #10607

• stewart g
Nice words Jimbo! It's nothing new with Rod....I remember in 1986 on a Radio One Special he mentioned Steve Harley and how good a songwriter he was! Really enjoyed the interview with Johnnie Walker always great when the old pirate and mod are talking.Mrs G who is always worth listening to said at the end 0f A Friend For Life " It's not as good as Steve's version" whilst my reply was "Who cares? It's a brand new audience for a wonderful song". Nice one Rod,looking forward to the next album " Stewart Sings Harley"

Rod Stewart , A Friend For Life 8 years 6 months ago #10608

• Stella Day
  • Reassuringly expensive.
I've just listened on Iplayer and I have to say that Rod's version is superb and he really does the song justice. His guitarist (dunno who he is......I'm not a Rod fan) plays almost as well as Jim Cregan. It's a brilliant song and definitely one of Harley's finest. The line : "Will you think of me as a distant island or will you come with me to the moon?" makes me melt.
Here's the link www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0668nhs (not sure whether or not it'll work for you Cheri)
If you can't say something nice don't say nothing at all.
The following user(s) said Thank You: , stewart g, joanna, Becky

Rod Stewart , A Friend For Life 8 years 6 months ago #10609

• MattB
WOW! Terrific to hear Rod Stewart singing what surely will be a Single that makes people notice more than any other for years. What a superb performance! Had me hooked right from the first line.
As you say rebelfreak1 this will warm us all on a dark December evening...

Rod Stewart , A Friend For Life 8 years 6 months ago #10610

• stewart g
Thanks for the link Stella.Have to agree with the comments,an Xmas release would be perfect.Not sure who plays guitar but it's got class written all over the playing..must be Jim Cregan? Rod's done a brilliant version,which sounds even better on second playing.

Rod Stewart , A Friend For Life 8 years 6 months ago #10611

• jollyroger
It was a terrific two hours of Rod with JW, and ended on a superb high note, with Rod's A Friend For Life version. What a beauty. He sings it with a heartfelt passion and an attitude befitting a man who has really lived and truly understands SH's view of "grow old with me"...Sent me to bed with a big smile on my face!