Steve Harley

& Cockney Rebel

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Ordinary ! Or extraordinary people ? York

Ordinary ! Or extraordinary people ? York 9 years 4 months ago #10002

• Pandorah
Omg ! Amazing !. I took a none SH fan to York at the weekend along with one of my boys and his mate Dave ! and whilst talking afterwards sat in a quaint tea room on Sunday afternoon just behind York Minster ( gorgeous city ) she ( Sarah ! The none SH fan ) said " I liked that one ! About ordinary people! Not knowing any of his songs ( apart from the obvious MMS )

The one that he sang about the change that had to come! and hoped it was this night ! Ah !
So yes ! the lyrics were clear ! Even to a none SH fan .

I sat in wonder ! As my boy ( James ) looked across with a puzzled expression asking. " what's this one mum ? "
I'm smiling
Please login/register to post on the forum.

Re:Ordinary ! Or extraordinary people ? York 9 years 4 months ago #10003

• Pandorah
Oops that's not right ! Must be the smileys !
I'll have another go :-( take out the smileys :-(

Re:Ordinary ! Or extraordinary people ? York 9 years 4 months ago #10004

• Pandorah
Omg ! Amazing !. I took a none SH fan to York at the weekend along with one of my boys and his mate Dave ! and whilst talking afterwards sat in a quaint tea room on Sunday afternoon just behind York Minster ( gorgeous city ) she ( Sarah ! The none SH fan ) said " I liked that one ! About ordinary people! Not knowing any of his songs ( apart from the obvious MMS )

The one that he sang about the change that had to come! and hoped it was this night ! Ah !
So yes ! the lyrics were clear ! Even to a none SH fan .

I sat in wonder ! As my boy ( James ) looked across with a puzzled expression asking. " what's this one mum ? "
I'm smiling , whispering " it's new James !"
Shuuuuuush up, I'm trying to listen to to lyrics ! The tune mattered not at that point ! Just the message he was trying to get out !
For me he's the messenger !
I've this belief you see !
He's God given and was put on this earth for a reason ( as we all are )
But
He's a special soul , the fisherman, he cast out his net back in the 70's and captured many many souls, and bought a lot of souls together over the years . And he keeps doing it . Lessons to be learned in life
Met up with Jackie Middleton Saturday afternoon along with Lorain who had driven up from Norfolk and we did lunch and spent the rest of the time together in wonderful York before the show ( we had different seats in the venue )

I joined her at the foot of the stage along side others who were raised to their feet for MMS
Mr H did smile , had that brief eye contact as he surveyed his audience then aimed and threw his plectrum to me !
Which I promptly missed lol . I thought it had dropped down between the gap in the stage , but it had actually fallen just beside me on the floor , a woman behind bent down and picked it up and gave it to the woman sat beside her , who flung her arms around her with a huge grin ! I was happy to see that ! There were some who seemed to think I should of retrieved it from her !
" said oi! That was meant for me ! " but I m not like that ! I was happy to share . I'd had my moment in time, and it was fine , no one can take those precious moments in time from me , I was happy to let another have that joy that comes from the stage in the form his plectrum. He's given 110% playing with for the evening .

When ever he's thrown or given me them over the years I've always cherished the moment , but 9 times out of 10 I've actually given them away to someone who's longed for a piece of Harley memorabilia !

I still have the very first ever one he threw to me at the stables way back , in 97-98 ? that strays with me forever , most of the time , I'll let someone who is obviously envious! have it , I'll give , I'm not a taker I'm a giver . I have my moment and that's enough for me, what more can I say !

Some fab tracks pulled out of the archives , love compared to you
Was lovingly received, even the boy commented
" that's a great song mum"
He knew it ( the tune had stuck with him ) but he never really sat and listened to the lyrics ! Saturday night he did . I thought the sound wasn't up to scratch ! re equipment ! Speakers ! I had to block up my ears at times ( which I do sometimes anyway ) to hear ( you know put the dampers on ) block out the external noise .
But maybe I'd been spoilt over the years with different venues ! Plus with the quality of the royal Albert halls acoustics but the barbican Saturday night did rock, I moved from the front and sat up the back with the boy and his mate for the second half , had a fantastic night , Steve was chatty on stage love it when he talks like ordinary people ! I guess that's a line for a song then ?

He was chatting ! Telling us about Dorothy sending him a picture of a jacket whilst out shopping ! she was thinking of buying him ! And how canny his sweet Scottish wife is ! Not only was it really reasonably priced ! She got so much percentage off it also ! Picked it up for a song basically ! So right result ! Bargain

Normal see !

Just like ordinary people do ! My hero , my star is not that untouchable ! He's just like ordinary people ! MAYBE ?

Told those in the room the sad news of Julie brown a dear sweet girl who had been with him from the beginning ! Big fan . Who was too unwell and unable to make the show :-) and wished her well , speedy recovery .

Julie for me ! is just like a kid at Christmas! every time I've met her ! She's just Full of delight, full of joy, to be at a Harley show , and she just beams with happiness :-) she's a girl after my own heart ,god bless her and I really hope she bounces back soon and we all see her again at a show .

The band were on form ! Obviously having a great time it seemed , all interacting with smiles and laughter, obviously enjoying their night on stage with SH, Adam was positively beaming , and really enjoying playing , I watch , I observe , I pay attention to detail, and they were all playing out of their skins !
Those tracks that have distinct leads ! Like Mr soft when the bass and drums kick off and the violin swoops in and takes over ! Michael ? Mr base did fine , stood in the background but still a prominent figure on stage , met him briefly at Great Yarmouth , and although dear Lincoln has departed from us , left the screen till such time ! We all come together again ( that's faith ) a hope !

The new guy is happily welcomed and if it can be passed on to him via anyone who may be in the potion ! I'd like to wish him well.
Micheal pacey ? Percy ? Sorry I know I said I pay attention but can't for the life of me recall as I was distracted when Mr H introduced him . Boy asking questions
" who's the new bass player mum ? "
Just like that ! I couldn't make it up ! James actually leaned over and asked the question as Mr H was introducing him.

It's all about the bass ! No trouble !
Mr soft bought him out of the shadows
Adam was really smiling and obviously enjoying playing, watching him dong that familiar beat intro to
Judy teen ! the thundering drum roll through it , That violin distracting from the thundering regimental drumming as it plucks ( pipsicoto's ) it's way through the song , then swoops and glides ! wraps itself around the voice all through the song . Don't you just love watching the craftsmen ! Doing their stuff ! Just Magic .

The lighthouse ! How magical is that ! So beautiful , you have to be there to appreciate how fabulous it really is at a SH show , those musicians he has on stage with him, are second to none . They gel so well together. But never the same twice ! Always new , always a throwing something out for another to catch hold of ! That's live music for ya ! Nothing like it .
Spent Sunday walking around York gazing in awe at the history, beautiful medieval banquet halls and stone castle gateways! fortresses ! That surround the place ,! And the shops ! ! Oh my God ! The shops are to die for , missed some of the girls I knew inside would love to have been there ! Jo down in Somerset busy delivering babies :-) Cheri over in Montana skating on ice & shovelling snow and building roaring log fires , they would of loved those tiny little shops with winding staircases up into tiny low ceilinged rooms full of splendid delightful gifts , hand made crafts , lovely smelling aromas filled the air ! York is full of history . Love it . The journey was good , no problems on the road ! Apart from the 50 mile an hour zones ! I loose the will to live sat in them when I'm tired ! So boring! And it causes me tension ! I'm forever watching the clock ! ( making sure )
So tired today ! Ache all over ! I'm getting too old for this :-)
Thank you Steve Harley for staying your way and keeping the faith :-)
We're just ordinary people at the end of the day
Learning from with extraordinarily people
And yes
a change is coming !
Hopefully !
Never give up on hope :-)

Re:Ordinary ! Or extraordinary people ? York 9 years 4 months ago #10006

• cheri
Deborah, that was a great post. And yes, I would have loved to explore York with you and Jo. Maybe next year?

Do you remember giving me a plectrum at the Stables in 2011 after my first concert there? He had thrown it to you and you gave it to me. I still have it!! Cherished possession. :) My God.

And yes, all of the band work together to make the whole experience a joy. They are ALL excellent and unique. That's what makes the concerts so seamless and thrilling.

I'm curious if you have a link to "Ordinary People," and a picture of that jacket. So you think there is another new album in the pipeline?

Miss you and hope you have a wonderful Christmas. Thanks for the visual picture of the concert in York.

Love, Cheri

Re:Ordinary ! Or extraordinary people ? York 9 years 4 months ago #10007

• GrahamEd
Debs- great post. Do you know, I had NO IDEA you were there. I would have bought you a drink or three if I had known. And you were with Jackie? I was right down the front, but honestly didn't see you. Here is the evidence :-).
Attachments:

Re:Ordinary ! Or extraordinary people ? York 9 years 4 months ago #10008

• GrahamEd
I thoroughly enjoyed the show-and the new song of course. But I felt the audience was a bit flat?
Attachments:
  • Page: